General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What % dealer discount do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What % dealer discount do you get?

My dealer offers a 10% discount on parts,service and clothing for a six month period after purchase of a bike. My 6 months is up. It seems HD dealers all sell at list. How would you ask your original dealer to contine and is there a chance of another nearby dealer wanting my business if I explained and ask for a discount.
What discounts do you get? If any.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:14 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Mine offers a discount every Friday. When you walk in, they are always having some kind of promotion thing on Fridays:

You are wearing a red shirt, and red happens to be their promotional color of the day? 10% off. Color changes every week.

You walk in sometimes and they have you play games (which is actually pretty damn fun) such as throwing huge rubber fish across the store into a bucket. For every fish you make in the bucket, that 5% off your purchases for the day (up to 25%)... I got damn good at this one.

Some times they have some spin board up and you spin it and if the pin lands on 10% off, you get 10% off for the day. It usually has either 0%, 5%, 10%, and 15% off on each space.

And if they are doing multiple things that day, you can combine the discounts! This is probably the best dealership I have been to, and it is only 5 miles down the road from my house!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My HD dealer does not offer any discounts. They say they aren't allowed buy Harley Davidson. I purchase a lot of my HD stuff from the HD dealers on eBay where they give a discounted price. My HD dealer says that Harley fines those dealers on eBay for selling at a discounted price. But they keep selling on eBay because they still make more sales and thus more profit than having the product sit on the shelves.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 AM
WVNightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10% for 3 months.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought mine back in 08. They gave me a VIP card and they stamp it when I used it. Could only use it once in each department for 10% off.
I still get 10% off. I always ask how much something is BEFORE they ring it up. When they tell me I look them in the eye and ASK if they can do better than that.
When I bought my service manual is when I found out they'd still give discounts. They told my the price, and I said...What? your kidding....

They said they'd take 10% off but thats it.

Only once did I get a smartass answer, and I raised my voice and said something about him being a smartass and I'd go somewhere else. Before I got to the door one of the managers asked me what happened. Hasn't been a problem since, but then again I really don't "shop" there.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

My dealer has this program where if you genuflect properly and grovel before them, abasing yourself thoroughly, they agree to charge you not a penny more than 100% MSRP plus sales tax. On top of that, they offer free shipping every day to anyone who buys merchandise while at the dealership.

I have spent thousands on line averaging between 20-24% off list, except for Metzler tires which were 36% off list and things of that nature. Of course, there is no applicable sales tax, and the shipping charges have been very reasonable indeed, sometimes free. On top of that is the time and gas money saved by not being held up at gunpoint at the dealership.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 15% off the parts they put on before I bought it.They also are giving me 15% off of anything including clothing for 3 months.
They have 20% off sales 3 times a year.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

My dealer does 10 pct. through a card system that gives credit for each $50 spent. When you have spent $500 it becomes like $50 cash.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOG Members get 15% off everyday and 20% off once a month on HOG apperciation day for members who attend the meeting. There is also no sales tax so I try to buy form them even if they are a little more than an Internet vendor for a given item.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

I get a percentage off almost all of my transactions (unless the items I am buying are just a couple of dollars). When I go in to purchase I ask how much prior to ringing the item up and have also done my homework as to what the item would cost else where.

In spite of what the dealers would have you to believe, in spite of MOCO's efforts there are still dealers out there offering 20% or more off with free shipping over $100. Check around and a prudent shopper can do fine. For me, I am willing to pay slightly more than what the internet purchase and shipping would cost for the convenience of walking in and walking out with the item. The benefit of inspecting the item prior to purchase is worth something to me.

Last edited by Inspector 12; 01-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: What % dealer discount do you get?