General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salt and Sand WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Salt and Sand WTF

I have been waiting for the last two weeks to ride my bike. Been watching the weather every day. Today was the day. It is in the upper 40's, sun is shinning , took a shower , I am ready to ride.
I put on all my gear, boots, two pairs of pants, hoodie, and leather coat. Damn, I ready to ride. Checked to make sure I had my wallet, keys, money. I got everything.
I walk out the front door to check the road. WTF, it looks like the pavement had been pulled up over night. It is now a red colored dirt road. Hell, the dirt in Connecticut is not red. What happened overnight. PW had dumped sand and salt on the road by the truck load.
You can't ride an EGS on a road like that. The salt alone would melt the bike overnight. And I can't wash it. The temperature is dropping overnight into the 20's and then down to the single numbers. All the lines from my house would freeze. Not to mention any water I may have missed on ther bike. Now I will have to wait until April to ride again. WTF.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I feel your pain. Salted the roads here about 4 times since the end of Nov. No riding till the spring rains wash that crap away.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in WA state it is the spray on anti-icer they put on the road, it eats any and all exposed aluminum. Hell on bikes and boats.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel for you guy's every time they even think there might be a chance of some snow or ice here in Wisconsin I'll look out the window and see something like this going down the road.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The nerve of the majority of the people in the city to be able to drive their cars safely! That's some real bulls**t!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Last night 10 PM my paved street was patches of Black Ice ... my truck would slide abit and then hit wet pavement ... sick gut feeling slipping off the road toward the trees and then getting a little grip.

Today - warm in the 50's and sand and salt everywhere - Welcome 2012 Winter

For those warm climate guys -
Black Ice is when the pavement gets wet from fog/condensation ... and looks wet/damp... and then freezes irregularly in patches (the road is below freezing but the humid air is above freezing temps), it cannot be distinguested from wet & frozen. On highways the cars just go sideway into the ditch, guard rails or other stopped cars, at 70 MPH +-

NOT FUN

Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slick as snot.

Yeah, we got sand on the roads in Co. Springs as well. I enjoy that we can ride at least a day or two in every month. But, I won't ride at night when it is hard to see the sand. I talked with a motorcycle cop who told me that he feels the same way.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Be glad you didn't go for a ride BEFORE..and come back and it was salted..

Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

your town/county/whatever must have a lot of money in the bank , around here we don't see the salt and sand trucks until after it snows .

Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 PM
JonV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally where I am now, the snow usually disappears in a day or two, so the first day everybody just stays home and waits for it to melt. Good thing too, most of the folks just don't get the basic driving in snow thing like you have to go slower. Last year we had a wet December, so I put my ride up the first week, .. I could have rode almost every day this month....but if I take it out we're bound to have a Blizzard I'll just wait until February 1st and save it up.

Quick Reply: Salt and Sand WTF