General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change on 2012 Dyna 1000/m Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Haides
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Its caused because the shop failed to put anything under the oil filter and just let the oil flow out over your motor mount. Pis poor practice as oil and rubber dont go well together.
Thanks Perki, that makes a lot of sense. there should be a jig to collect the oil so it doesnt just run all over the bike. seems odd. This cant be the HD authorized practice for oil removal. Ill look into it, thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would think the shop might take the time to clean up any oil spills they created. It makes them look sloppy and unprofessional to leave a job like that.

Hell when I took my new car in for its first service the shop vacuumed the interior, rotated the tires washed the outside of the car and changed the oil. All for the price of an oil change.
The gave me the impression that they wanted me to come back.

Michael

Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If they would have taken a $2 can of brake cleaner spray and sprayed the area where oil dripped they would have a satisfied customer. What a bunch of dumb asses...you should send a link to this post to the owner of the dealership.

FAIL

BTW, my dealers always wash my bike after each service. Then make sure all fingerprints are detailed off.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 01-13-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my own 1k service and learned to put something under the oil filter the hard way. Oil got all over the place. But after a good cleaning, I had no residual leaks at all. Not even a wet spot. Sounds like your dealer took off the oil filter, picked their nose and scratched their butt, put a new one on and called it a day.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Do you think you might be a little paranoid about the dents? I mean--it seems a little far fetched. Doesn't seem like something someone at a dealership would bother to do. Have you got pics of the dents?

Definitely do your own service. Was it worth your time & aggravation? This way, you know it's done right.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Haides
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Do you think you might be a little paranoid about the dents? I mean--it seems a little far fetched. Doesn't seem like something someone at a dealership would bother to do. Have you got pics of the dents?

Definitely do your own service. Was it worth your time & aggravation? This way, you know it's done right.
Thanks for your concern however this is not my first time to the Rodeo.

After owning several high end brand new sports cars over the years i have learned a few things:

Always hand wash and wax (if possible) your vehicle before turning it in for repairs. This gives you a chance to go over every part of your vehicle.

Always photograph your vehicle and take notes of any damages before turning your vehicle over for repairs. If possible take video of your vehicle. Try to do this at the dealership parking lot in case there any disputes.

Carefully go over your vehicle for any damages before taking possession of the vehicle. Once you move your vehicle from the premises there is no contest.

Once you have made sure your vehicle has not been damaged you may now take possession of the keys accepting liability for your vehicle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I followed all of my rules except for the last part. I didnt carefully go over my vehicle as i normally would. That is my fault and i therefor forfeit any rights i have to a claim. It is my fault and therefor i accept mea culpa. I am not going to ask the dealership for anything. No winners here. Big deal, more importantly i learned a lesson.

The dents are there, no big deal. Looks like someone took a 1/2 socket wrench and rapped on the heads a couple times, big deal, it still runs. I am past the point in my life where i need worry about piddly things. I am putting 1,000 miles a month on my bike, this time next year ill be on another new bike. I love to ride, thats whats important. OC Harley did a poor job on my bike, shame on them. Ill keep moving forward. I will still tell anyone that they are some of the nicest people i ever met. I had a good experience buying from them. I really like Larry. Shame about the service i got, maybe it was a fluke, who knows?

Maybe me sharing my experience will help prevent this from happening to someone else. Maybe if someone elses has has some dents they will read about my experience and know its not a isolated event. This is not a crusade for justice, this is it, the end. Thanks everyone and yes i have sent the link to the owner. Happy riding everyone!

P.S.
Just to be fair for the record this incident happened a couple months ago, i have been traveling and doing business and am only writing this at all because i am ill this week and have a little time to burn, if not it may have never been questioned.

Here is a link to a oil catch tray so your oil doesnt have to go all over your engine: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7400478

Last edited by Haides; 01-14-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:18 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$300.00 for an oil change? You can't be for real!!!

Originally Posted by Haides
I got my first service on my new bike and drove 10 miles down the freeway back home, then next morning i went out to my bike and i found oil on the floor and this oil mess under my bike. I called the Orange County Harley Davidson Dealership (Irvine) that worked on my bike and they told me this was normal and that i shouldnt be worried about it. The service manager said it was just residual left over from the oil change change and to keep on riding. I insisted that they fix the dam bike! I yelled and complained because after all i paid good money for the service from my own pocket! They told me to bring it in so i did. They steamed the bikes underside. I got the bike back nice and clean, but i also noticed later at home they also left me a few dents in my heads as a keeps sake. Looks like they hammered on it a couple times with a wrench.

Is this what you guys experienced after paying $300 for an oil change?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:12 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yikes, for $300 you could get a lift, 5 quarts of oil, oil filter, lunch and still be ahead of what they charged you. I can't understand how they charge that much for such a simple job.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

I fully agree that $300 for an oil change is just totally senseless, even if the dealer did a stellar job. It takes so little time and effort to change oil in any of the oil reservoirs and you can be certain that the correct oils are used and filled to the correct levels.

I do not believe the dealer tech went over your bike to check things like critical fasteners. If you said change oil that is what they did. Otherwise other things would have been noted on your invoice and you would have been charged for that time (and materials, like shop rags).

Additionally, doing it yourself eliminates the scheduling hassles of leaving a bike at the dealer. To each his own, but there are great advantages of doing this simple task yourself.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

I thought he said 300.00 for a 1000 mile, if so that includes more than just an oil change, still doesn't justify sloppy service . I would suggest what a lot of others are doing including myself, doing your own service, then if something gets screwed up you know who to blame.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change on 2012 Dyna 1000/m Service