General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change on 2012 Dyna 1000/m Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Coming from a professional and what their leader said is very unprofessional. These bikes are very difficult to change the filter without getting a little down behind voltage regulator and such and the premium you pay to have it done should include a biodegradability rinse and spray down to insure that does not hide back their and run down the next few days. Some cars like my wife's Honda CRV require it since it's a fire hazard. I get free oil changes on my 4x4 truck due to a dealer screw up and they even spray it clean. I would find me another service man since their lead man is not going to change and after you call a mans baby ugly you surely do not want them working on yours.....

PS see a few bike done like this get the oil in that outer slid on protective sheath of the clutch cable. Shortly it gets blown all way back to transmission making the transmission look like it's leaking out the cable end.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-14-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't let people know what you expect when you pick up your bike then they will half *** it every time. I got mine serviced once and after the punk kid washed it there was still oil prints and stuff on the seat, tank , etc. So I made him wash it again.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Haides
Thanks Perki, that makes a lot of sense. there should be a jig to collect the oil so it doesnt just run all over the bike. seems odd. This cant be the HD authorized practice for oil removal. Ill look into it, thanks!
There is, its called an "oil catcher drain oil funnel" and its sold by Harley. Its Part #63794-10. Your problem is that the shop is just to damn lazy to use it. Be careful what you clean it with. Lots of chemical cleaners will eventually damage your engine mount.

I would suggest that next time you go to the dealer ask for a parts catalog, they are free. Then look up the funnel and go ask the shop why they don't use something that is designed by Harley to eliminate the problem. They may not be aware of it.

Last edited by perki48; 01-14-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: adding suggestion
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notify Harley in Milwaukee about your experience and you can damn well be assured if they do not take care of it for you and make it come from the dealers pocket, the word will get out and that dealership will loose more money in lost customers than thier aragent asses can stand

Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone sounds like a delight to deal with

Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

After they did the 1k service which was $240 I learn to go over the bike before leaving.

Its also best to go over it when U take her in.. have the writer make a note of any flaws in the bike, or the she don't have any....

Then ask before agreeing to have them do the work ASK if they clean her up aferwards of not...

I've had one dealer and my Indy that gives the bike back dirtier than when I took her in and I've had two dealerd that washed and shined it like new when I picked she up..

So they be all different, and U have to ask to know what they will do...

Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Haides
I dont mind getting robbed, as long as they do a good job!!!
Therein lies the problem, your don't know they are doing a good job unless you are looking over their shoulder. Even if I were a millionaire I don't like getting robbed! I can afford to pay for the dealer to do my oil changes & maintenance, but I enjoy doing it myself & know it's DONE RIGHT! Anyone can find the time to do a simple oil change if they want to.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Danuke
Advanced

I'm an older kinda guy, and let my dealer do most of the service, but I still do the "juices."
However, regardless of how long it took, and the fact that the dings were so evidently deliberate, hidden and all, i feel that the Service Manager, along with the Owner should be confronted. It sounds like they have a 'sick' mechanic working for them. Who knows what other things that person is doing or is capable of doing.
If that's the best place around, alas, it sounds like you are in deep yogurt.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Danuke
Advanced

I just saw an oil filter drain catcher at my dealer. After reading the thread, I'ma gonna get one.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like the saying goes.... "If you want something done right... do it yourself".

Quick Reply: First Oil Change on 2012 Dyna 1000/m Service