General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom handlebar speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:24 AM
hmcgee25
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom handlebar speakers

Anybody with Harleys Boom handlebar speakers might can help me with this question... My buddy had a pair of the Boom handlebar mounted speakers that he sold to me for a good price. It is only the speakers and not the amp and hand controls. I am planning on installing them on my 02 road king. My question is, will any amp work with it or does it have to be the harley one? And I'm planning on running my ipod through it and since the ipod has a volume control, do I have to have the handlebar controls too or will it run without it. Thanks

Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM
str8jacket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An ipod alone doesn't put out enough wattage to drive those speakers with any decent sound. They make little mini amps that you can plug your ipod into and then hook the amp up to the speakers. You use a separate volume control or use your ipod volume control. You can get them on ebay pretty cheap.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
hmcgee25
Stage IV

So any little amp will work? Im new to the speaker setups. Do all amps have the same plug that plugs into the speakers or will I have to rig it up to plug in?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
str8jacket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug should be the same. RCA jacks are common for mini audio components. If not, you could get an adapter from radio shack.

The only other issue would be the speaker impedance. The speakers you have are most likely 4 ohm (it should say on them). You just need to make sure the amp you use specifies an impedance range that your speakers fall into. Having the correct speaker impedance is pretty critical with mini amps. You will fry the amp if you don't.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
roaddog rhody
Cruiser

Never thought about handlebar mounted speakers...wonder if the apes will support a pair of 12 inch 3 ways! Lol

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM
keith.pitts
Stage II
Exclamation Boom speakers

I put a pair if speakers on my Fat boy, with volume control on right handle bar brake cable. I use a Nano ipod for music which i have in magnetic holder on the tank.The speakers are brilliant but my Nano gets really hot, like its having the incorrect voltage in jack plug.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM
CB1
Tourer

check out this little amp from Kicker. It has Ipod interface and a remote to control volume, tracks and such so you don't need access to the ipod. I don't think it has a whole lot of power, and I have no personal experience with it. I just remember seeing it in a thread several months ago. As far as the power goes you may be able to determine what power the boom audio amp has and see if it is comparable.

http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Personne
6th Gear

I had the dealer install the Audio Boom handlebar speakers, amp and volume control on my bike in 2011. Complete waste of $600+. Sounds great in town but can't hear it at all at speeds over 40 mph. I am taking them off this spring and going with a Reckless Fairing, 4 5's, amp and bluetooth reciever.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

I installed this set up on my Road King. I mounted the speakers on my highway bar and can hear it at upwards of 70+ MPH with my windshield on.
Amazon.com: Boss Audio MC400 Motorcycle/UTV Speaker and Amplifier System (Silver): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boss Audio MC400 Motorcycle/UTV Speaker and Amplifier System (Silver): Car Electronics

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Personne
6th Gear

Thanks for the link. Where did you install the amp?

Quick Reply: Boom handlebar speakers