General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

I am forty years older

Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadFred
What differences do u old skool Bikers see now "in the life"....???
Better bikes now!

(My opinion, of course!)

Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Oldies

Better, more relliable and with electric start.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

besides just the sheer numbers of riders now days, "back in the day" you didn't see as many new bikes. The baggers you seen were mostly own by the "brothers" and had a zillion lights on them. if you did find an ole knuck, pan or shovel you didn't even consider a restoration, only a chop. our weekend trip bedroll was just that and nothing more except your tools rolled up in it. clothes were chippawa engineer boots w/a master link attached to a top buckle, oil soaked levis, chrome primary chain belt and black sleevless t-shirt if you wore one. vest back then were cut off levi jackets

Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 PM
paulpa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeadFred
What differences do u old skool Bikers see now "in the life"....???
well because of the more user friendly bikes there are people now that ride and don't need the mechanical knowledge that we did back then even little things like chain adjustments,changing tires wheel bearings,and even a simple valve job,,,another thing is the aftermarket parts offered today,doing away with alot of the fabrication of parts,,,,,and the clothes offered,man i had a leather jacket and long johns,,,i don't even remeber seeing a pair of chaps till 76,,,,,the way we are treated by the dealers,,,back then the mechanic would explain and show you what was going on,,,,now the bike is locked up in some space where the insurance gods certainly wouldn't give the dealership permission to let some idiot back there to see whats happening,,,,and you used to deal with the owner of the franchise,,,helll they were so close to going out of business the just about kissed your ***,,,,the sad part is some of the same guys own the same franchises today and couldn't care less if you bought a bike or not,,,,,harleys cuctomer service sucks today,but thats true of about 75 % of us companies....years ago you couldn't just walk in any bar or resturaunt and expect to get served,,,,we dont allow leather jackets,,,,,get the bike outta the parking lot,,,it leaks oil all over...now holy **** bars ,dealers ,resturaunts all want u there...i'll think of some more but thats the basics,,,,,but damn i couldnt ride my shovel 800 miles in a day,,,,my glide eats the road,,,what a beautiful thing

Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

The biggest difference is your reading this in print , used to be we'd just punch you in the mouth for saying something that stupid in person . Have a nice day .

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
paulpa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and there weren't so many clubs

Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,399 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I'm 52. My dad rode. He rode with my older sisters friends. It didn't seem to matter what year or brand anyone was on. The bikes were all quirky and COOL

Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only money you put into it was just to keep it running.

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..