General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financing a bike and Finance rates?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
Peopl ALWAYS BS on what interest they are paying on their loans, I don't care if it's car loans, mortgage, credit card interest rate etc.. There's a reason why it always seems everyone else makes out so much better than you, it's because they always shed a point or two.

If people are getting 3.1% on a motorcycle loan I would be very surprised. Expect to pay between 6-10% depending on your credit and if you can put 20% down on the bike.

I do agree that I don't finance motorcycles, I would rather own a 20 year old rider that needs work all the time than have to pay a bank $400+ for the privilege of riding their bike for the next 5 years.
From my credit union, this is for any street legal car, truck, van or motorcycle. Shop around for the best rates.

Description Term APR*
New / Used Auto 1 -36 Months 1.49%
New / Used Auto 37 -60 Months 2.49%
New / Used Auto 61 -72 Months 4.99%
New / Used Auto 73 -84 Months 5.99%
New / Used Auto 85 -120 Months 7.99%

Old 02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
steveusaf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrews Federal Credit Union - $2K down payment, $13,500 financed, 2.89% APR, 48 months. I have excellent credit. That's ridiculously low.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Junior_co
Ok, so if I said I got pre-approved for a 5 year loan at 3.49%.... (from a credit union)

I don't know if this is a good rate for a motorcycle loan... Obviously I know if it will be better or worse than what HD might offer, but I'm looking for input on what a high rate is...
3.49% is a great rate, your credit rating really is "pretty good"

I'd try to use this to beat HD financing down, at least try to get them to match and then cut you a deal on a warranty. If you have any sticking points on the deal, having an unsigned financing contract ready can un-stick those pretty quick.

HD probably can't beat that rate, but you may be able to make up the difference in other areas of the deal.

I agree on financing, if you want it and you can't pay cash then go for it. In the end it's about your ability to pay, not when you pay.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Riich
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babalu
Peopl ALWAYS BS on what interest they are paying on their loans, I don't care if it's car loans, mortgage, credit card interest rate etc.. There's a reason why it always seems everyone else makes out so much better than you, it's because they always shed a point or two.

If people are getting 3.1% on a motorcycle loan I would be very surprised. Expect to pay between 6-10% depending on your credit and if you can put 20% down on the bike.

I do agree that I don't finance motorcycles, I would rather own a 20 year old rider that needs work all the time than have to pay a bank $400+ for the privilege of riding their bike for the next 5 years.
I just financed my new RK through my credit union.. 15K for 3 yrs @ 3%. If you need proof of no BS, let me know.

I also agree on financing toys, but here's a twist to that. I have the cash to pay for the bike. But I have a new policy, I know longer rob from myself to pay for anything. With interest rates this low, I will borrow, have the cash for a backup if needed, and keep saving towards retirement. It's what is working for me.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Just for giggles I checked my credit union rates, 4.99 up to 72 months.
If just saying, you own your home or have a low balance, you can do an equity loan for 3.99 and write the interest off on income tax.
My thought process is if you can use someone else's money for 5% and have your toy also go for it. Life is short folks, enjoy your time here.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 PM
inkognitonck
6th Gear

I bought in July and got 3.99 for 4 years.... Could've gotten 4.99 over 5 years to lower the payments... In the long run, it didn't seem to make a big difference between a percentage point or so...

Just my $.02

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm actively shopping, so I can't tell you which dealer was offering 1% financing, but I saw it in the past three days, probably on one of the 327 Harley dealerships within 500 miles of my house in Georgia.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

2.6 at credit union.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Might be a good idea to see if early repayment is accepted. If your monthly payment is $400, you can make 52 weekly payments and its like making one extra monthly payment each year vs. 12 months @400 a month. This works on home loans too. Really painless to work into the budget too!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As cheap is interest is right now, there is nothing wrong with financing your toys, IF you can easily afford the payments and are not upside-down. If you have good credit, you can get an excellent rate through Harley. A good F&I guy can work wonders.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Financing a bike and Finance rates?