General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Corcoran Boots please

Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Corcoran Boots please

Anyone use these for riding? Which is best, the original Jump Boot with flat sole but more ankle support or the Field Boot with lugged sole? The Plain Toe Boot looks interesting but looks like a lighter all-around boot.

Any advice appreciated as I have to buy off internet without seeing them first.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

I believe the Corcoran II's are the field boot you're referring to. Anyway, I would go with those over the shiny jump boots for just the reason you mentioned: flat soles which could be very slick.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of those two, you want the Corc II field boots.

The original flat soled jump boot tread is not very 'grippy' right out of the box brand new, and after 50 or a hundred stoplights you will be smooth as a babys rear end.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are just stuck on the Corcoran name, I have 2 pairs of jump boots that are as good or better quality, with lug soles and they have actual steel under the toe cap, instead of stiff leather. Both Dr. Marten and Grinders brands make them. I also like Corcoran and have their desert boots that I wear in uniform, but steel is always a plus on a motorcycle.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pair of Corcoran II jump boots I bought back in '99 and I still wear them every now and then. I've had them resoled twice, but the leather and stitching has held up amazingly.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use mine for work everyday, on my feet 8 hours. Very well built and easy on - off with the zipper. The only ones I buy.
http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-ba...paratrooper-sz

Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

I enjoyed wearing jungle boots on the bike. Of course, with the nylon parts, they don't do so well for keeping your feet dry.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

personally, i don't care for either of those 2 on my bike. the original corcorans soles are too smooth. wear them and it's not a question of if, but when, you will slip and bust your ***, and maybe a clutch or brake lever in the process.

the corcoran 2s field boot has a much better sole, but the leather is too soft and won't give enough support.

will they work in a pinch? sure, some guys wear topsiders while riding. these have got to be better than that. but if you haven't bought them yet, there are much better alternatives for the same or less money.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
J_Bob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my old Corcoran IIs as a winter riding boot. A good pair of wool socks underneath and they're dry and toasty. While I agree they don't have the ankle support of motorcycle specific boots, they aren't all that bad. My chief complaint is they're heavy and it gets to be a drag in stop-and-go traffic.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

Originally Posted by J_Bob
I use my old Corcoran IIs as a winter riding boot. A good pair of wool socks underneath and they're dry and toasty. While I agree they don't have the ankle support of motorcycle specific boots, they aren't all that bad. My chief complaint is they're heavy and it gets to be a drag in stop-and-go traffic.
Good point on the ankle support although I am not sure I ever missed it when wearing the jungles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Corcoran Boots please