General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a transmission pulley seal leak ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
dpk20x
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I have a transmission pulley seal leak ..

But I'm not 100% sure. Ever since I bought my bike two years ago I've had the slightest leak that appears to be coming from the primary drain plug. I've changed the primary oil twice since then and each time I've replaced the O ring and wrapped the plug up with teflon tape. Now I've been reading that liquid thread sealant is better to use then the tape but I'm pretty sure that the plug is not leaking and here's why ..

The leak only manifests itself after I return from a ride. The oil collects and drips from the drain plug but I can feel a trail of oil coming from the back of the inner primary. When I look at my transmission sprocket it appears to be rather greasy and I've always noticed a small amount of greasy film on my belt.

So just curious if anyone else has experienced a transmission pulley seal leak before and if this sounds like what is going on with my bike. I'm trying to think of where else the leak could be coming from, it definitely seems as if it is coming from behind the inner primary somewhere and this is the only thing I can think of.

Anyways I'm probably gonna throw some of that UV dye in my transmission and check out that leak under a black light. Something like this should be safe to use in there right? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=835775_0_0_

Old 02-10-2012, 03:16 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes, friend of mine has an 07 dyna and it leaked on the primary shaft seal. Had about 16k miles when it started. He replaced it himself with the service manual, not too bad of a job but takes some time. Used Genuine James seals, they are much better than HD seals. Had to make his own locking bar which isnt hard. Also added some liquid gasket to some other seals that looked bad like the shift shaft seal. Now much better.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 645 Posts

If you are going to pull the inner primary it really doesnt matter which one is leaking, just replace all the seals.....shifter shaft, starter jackshaft, etc. The primary drain plug really doesnt need anything but the o-ring....and dont over tighten it.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo yo that changed out my tire unwittingly adjusted my belt just slightly out of alignment. Noticed the belt out of alignment looking for the source of the weep around the rear of my primary. Realigned belt and adjust tension weep stopped.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Yo yo that changed out my tire unwittingly adjusted my belt just slightly out of alignment. Noticed the belt out of alignment looking for the source of the weep around the rear of my primary. Realigned belt and adjust tension weep stopped.
That's strange never heard of anything like that before but I guess it makes sense. Just had my rear wheel off a few weeks ago. I'm never really **** when it comes to aligning the wheel. I made a makeshift alignment tool with a wire coat hanger and a zip tie that slides on it. Never thought I had a problem there as my bike always tracks straight but I guess it wouldn't hurt to double check my alignment with a ruler.

And I guess another thing I've noticed about my bike is I have to adjust my belt like every hundred miles or so. Seems like I shouldn't have to adjust it so frequently. Not sure if this has anything to do with my oil leak just throwing it out there I guess

Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

And I guess another thing I've noticed about my bike is I have to adjust my belt like every hundred miles or so. Seems like I shouldn't have to adjust it so frequently. Not sure if this has anything to do with my oil leak just throwing it out there I guess
you shouldnt be touching your belt that often. Something is up there.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Yeah I wonder what could cause that. I torque everything to spec and the bike only has 12k on it

Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
tread 2007 ultra
Cruiser

Mine was leaking /weeping like that ,was the Shift Shaft Seal
say that fast three times

Last edited by tread 2007 ultra; 02-10-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

be glad you dont have a old HD you couldnt tell where the leaks were coming from .
showroom floors had cardboard under the new ones .

Old 02-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar leak on my 07 Superglide. It was a bad tower gasket that fits over the shift lever and is located between the inner and outer primary covers. It looks like an aluminum foil gasket with adhesive on one side. When you pull the outer cover off, look down toward the inner primary where the shifter shaft comes through. The tower gasket should be attached to the inner primary at that spot. If the gasket is oblong or just hanging on the shaft, replace it. Make sure you degrease the spot before you attach it as that adhesive on the gasket is kind of thin.

Quick Reply: I think I have a transmission pulley seal leak ..