General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you HAVE to have louder pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
A number of people claim power increases with exhaust changes. I have yet to see any documentation supporting the claim of increased power. All the dyno charts I've seen related to claiming increased power with an exhaust change included other changes such as a new air cleaner, new ignition map, dyno tuning, cams, or other things. Without back to back runs with only the exhaust being changed, I'm not convinced that changing the exhaust does anything other than make it louder. If someone has a dyno chart showing a power increase from changing the exhaust only, I'd like to see it.
Come on, your kidding right??? In the event your not, heres the link to a source I have to assume even you think is reputable. S&S. They are pretty much the holy grail of Harley high performance. This is the quote from their Dyno tests that show a noticeable and repeatable increase in power from just slip ons and no tuning.

"Notice the increase in midrange torque after installing a set of S&S® 80db SPO® mufflers on an otherwise stock 2007 FLHTCU. This means more power for passing, climbing hills, and accelerating to highway speed. All at EPA legal sound levels."

Heres the link to just one of many of the S&S pages containing info and dyno sheets to back up what they claim:
http://www.sscycle.com/performance_e...10.php#spo-tab

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-12-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, keeping your stock mufflers should not negate all of the benefit of air filter improvement and fuel/air improvements. It does act like a restriction and you will not reap all the benefits but with that said-------It is your motorcycle. Do to it what you like. Your motorcycle and you should do to it what you like but when it comes to my motorcycle---I do what I like.
Originally Posted by DanDolfn
First, let me say that I'm no mechanic at all. I have no clue about how to do stuff, so I have to have someone else do everything for me. And I have to rely on the advice of others, too.

That said, when people talk about changing out the air filter, changing the pipes and adding Power Commander, is it really necessary to change the pipes?

I understand the part about the air filter providing more air. I understand what the Power Commander does. I understand what taking out the catalytic converter does.

But everyone talks about the louder sound of the new pipes. I don't want louder sound. I'm happy with my stock sound. And new mufflers cost even more money.

If I do the other stuff and add, for example, Rush ceramic headers, does it really negate the benefit if I keep the stock mufflers?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Zap
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DanDolfn

Do you HAVE to have louder pipes?
Well, if you wanna keep up with the Honda's you may want
to build one like this guy did.
Perusing the classified the other day and ran across this…

"2004 Harley-Davidson Sceamin' Eagle Electra Glide
FLHTCSE 31,000 miles. Engine redone at 28,000. It will
run with the Gold Wings. Engine Specs: Cases split- Tinker
roller bearing installed, Extensive head work, flowed,
ported, and angle charge, 1.940 Ferrea Intake valves
and 1.625 HD Exhaust. SandS Gear Drive cam conversion
kit. Titanium lift springs and push rod. Jims hydrosolid
lifters, no bleed down - turn solid at 3-3500 rpm. Jims
Roller rockers. Delcron forged rocker arm supports
brackets. Zippers EFI manifold, Zippers 54 mil throttle
body. Zippers Thunder Max (THUNDER HEART IGNITION)
Redshift 657 Cams. Wiseco 4" sleeper conversion w/10.5-1
fitted pistons. Rinehart true duals exhaust.Ride str8
Stabilizer, No high speed wobbles even at 125mph.
Bottom line is this is a 110 incher my way. Not HDs way.
126 ft lbs of torque 117hp. My way works. Very sophisticated,
expensive bike that will run with the Wings.".

Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

actually once you ditch the stock headpipe w/cat the stock mufflers don't sound too bad, almost like a SE muffler. Ran my SG for awhile that way when I first got my FM headpipe.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Come on, your kidding right??? In the event your not, heres the link to a source I have to assume even you think is reputable. S&S. They are pretty much the holy grail of Harley high performance. This is the quote from their Dyno tests that show a noticeable and repeatable increase in power from just slip ons and no tuning.

"Notice the increase in midrange torque after installing a set of S&S® 80db SPO® mufflers on an otherwise stock 2007 FLHTCU. This means more power for passing, climbing hills, and accelerating to highway speed. All at EPA legal sound levels."

Heres the link to just one of many of the S&S pages containing info and dyno sheets to back up what they claim:
http://www.sscycle.com/performance_e...10.php#spo-tab

Actually I was serious and thanks for the link to the dyno chart.

That chart indicates a gain of 1.9 HP and 2.6 TQ for a cost shown as $725. Seems like a lot of money to spend for such a small change in performance. I'm wondering if most people would even be able to feel that difference.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

You don't have to change anything on your Harley.

I have the stock exhaust, air cleaner and map on my bike. It runs and sounds great. I once had aftermarket pipes. They sounded nice around town, but drove me crazy on long trips.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
Yes, it's about respect.

Loud pipes distinctly identify a bike as a Harley. Without the roar you could easily be mistaken for a metric Vtwin. Other Harley riders would look down on you. How will you scare children and make women turn away ? If there is someone walking along the side of the road I always crack the throttle and watch them jump. It's part of the lifestyle.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Hutch1999
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think generally the younger you are and the younger you feel (mentally) the louder the exhaust. My dad is 52 and only has basic slip-ons on his evo electra glide classic, but my uncle (his brother) who is 47 has the loudest possible exhaust he could find on his deuce. Just two different mentalities.

It also comes down to the type of riders. Of course the weekend warriors and bar hoppers want something loud and obnoxious, while the touring guys and daily riders prefer a more mellow sound.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
Yes, it's about respect. If there is someone walking along the side of the road I always crack the throttle and watch them jump. It's part of the lifestyle.
Hmmm, yes..........it's all about respect. And just how do you gain respect by breaking ear drums of innocent people out for a walk?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took his post as a joke.

Quick Reply: Do you HAVE to have louder pipes?