General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you HAVE to have louder pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you HAVE to have louder pipes?

First, let me say that I'm no mechanic at all. I have no clue about how to do stuff, so I have to have someone else do everything for me. And I have to rely on the advice of others, too.

That said, when people talk about changing out the air filter, changing the pipes and adding Power Commander, is it really necessary to change the pipes?

I understand the part about the air filter providing more air. I understand what the Power Commander does. I understand what taking out the catalytic converter does.

But everyone talks about the louder sound of the new pipes. I don't want louder sound. I'm happy with my stock sound. And new mufflers cost even more money.

If I do the other stuff and add, for example, Rush ceramic headers, does it really negate the benefit if I keep the stock mufflers?

Last edited by DanDolfn; 02-12-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 AM
LoveHate
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever ridden in a really big city with heavy traffic, tense drivers and women with mobile phones?

I admit that when I go over some obscure village in the mountains I am ashamed how much noise produce ... but in the city, it saved me many times.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Leave it all stock except got gutting the cat. And maybe a map flash to richen it up just a tad.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to go louder just less restrictive, if you provide more air or remove the cat you will have more pressure going to the stock mufflers which were not made for that. Picture a potato in a tail pipe, you need a less restrictive muffler to get the spent fuel gasses out faster because of the increase. You will also get a power increase. So yes.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever ridden in a really big city with heavy traffic, tense drivers and women with mobile phones?

No, almost all of my riding is in a little town in central Florida. I once rode 45 miles and saw only five vehicles going the other direction. And three of those were bikes.

:-)

Picture a potato in a tail pipe

OK, that I can do. It makes sense now.

So if I do go with all the changes, what's a good set of mufflers that allow the air flow without getting louder?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Less restrictive = louder. The things that restrict the exhaust are the same things that quiet it. You don't have to be obnoxious loud, but it will be louder.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 AM
LoveHate
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
No, almost all of my riding is in a little town in central Florida. I once rode 45 miles and saw only five vehicles going the other direction. And three of those were bikes.
You're lucky man, and a little envy you ))

Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
Less restrictive = louder. The things that restrict the exhaust are the same things that quiet it. You don't have to be obnoxious loud, but it will be louder.
Good point I should have added that, search "post your exhaust threads" and you may find what your looking for. Or ask for people to post what they have with the same bike as yours.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

I like loud Harleys except for some types of fishtails which IMO while they look great sound horrible. Not all maybe but a lot.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDolfn

:-)

Picture a potato in a tail pipe

OK, that I can do. It makes sense now.

So if I do go with all the changes, what's a good set of mufflers that allow the air flow without getting louder?

I've never thought that the Screaming Eagle slip ons from Harley were very loud. I had a set of cycle shack slip ons on my Dyna and they were just a little louder than SEs, and were pretty inexpensive.

Quick Reply: Do you HAVE to have louder pipes?