General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas ethanol fuel treatment

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to find some of this stuff to try..

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

My Stihl dealer sells avation gas. NO ethanol and 100 octane. $6.50 a gallon but I use it in all of my two cycle machines. Not happy about it but not going to have my engines sieze up.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Ethanol presents very few problems to any engine manufactured after 1999. In the E10 formulation as long as the fuel is used within about 6 weeks. If you leave E10 fuel over 6 weeks then it is probably a good idea to use a fuel stabilizer like Marine Stabil which is made to work with E10 or E15 fuel and prevent fuel separation gelling issues. If you have a bike older than 1999 I would use stabilizer all of the time. Marine Stabil contains a fuel systems cleaner as well that keeps deposits off the fuel system internals. I have stored boats with 250 gallons of E10 in them for 24 months and then fired them right up with no adverse effects using Marine Stabil. You can get it at any WalMart.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdestuck
My Stihl dealer sells avation gas. NO ethanol and 100 octane. $6.50 a gallon but I use it in all of my two cycle machines. Not happy about it but not going to have my engines sieze up.
Your engine is not going to seize from ethanol.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ragtop
I'd like to know also, that crap keeps fuking up my power equipment! And if someone
wants to say use stabil or whatever, I already use that stuff, it doesn't help with
the deposits from that crap they call gas these days.
My weedwacker was so clogged up with hard tannish deposts, it wouldn't even prime the carb anymore, push the bulb, and it won't come back up. Cleaned the tan crap out of the passages, and then it was fine, for a month or so. The next time I went to use it, the same damn thing, clogged up again, PITA!! I hate to think of what it's doing to my harley carb!
Use the green marine stabil not the red. Then at the end of the season pump WD40 through the carb with the primer bulb.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM
madraider6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Seafoam in everything and keep a can in my saddlebag

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Star-Tron works great! Solved all of my Ethanol related problems. I pick it up at the Boat place. Guy at west Marine told me that Star Tron outsells Stabil Marine 10 to 1 all day long. Good Stuff.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I use the marine Stabil as well. Seems to do the job.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Has anyone ever seen proof, real proof, that ANY additive actually does something good for an engine? I'm over 60. Been around all kinds of engines all my life and have yet to see any real evidence that these additives do anything except make money for the people who sell them.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't leave fuel in your equipment. If it sits for more than a month I drain it or use marine stabil. All we have is ethanol in the gas here. We have had it for several years. The only thing I have noticed is that fuel lines catch hell unless they are alcohol resistant.
Originally Posted by Ragtop
I'd like to know also, that crap keeps fuking up my power equipment! And if someone
wants to say use stabil or whatever, I already use that stuff, it doesn't help with
the deposits from that crap they call gas these days.
My weedwacker was so clogged up with hard tannish deposts, it wouldn't even prime the carb anymore, push the bulb, and it won't come back up. Cleaned the tan crap out of the passages, and then it was fine, for a month or so. The next time I went to use it, the same damn thing, clogged up again, PITA!! I hate to think of what it's doing to my harley carb!

Quick Reply: Lucas ethanol fuel treatment