General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas ethanol fuel treatment

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
joel83fxrs
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just realized the tan crud is coating the inside of my otherwize immaculate fuel tank on my 83 fxrs. Just rebilt carb n have come to the conclusion that the tan crud is my problem. Also the bike has been running poorly n i was thinking i may have to do the top end again, was just done 4500 miles ago. I'm just wondering if there's an easy fix product i can use to clean out the tan crud or what i should do cuz the way it's running i hate to run that gunk through the carb. Always use 93 oct. Gas

Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Tunafisher
Cruiser

I have occasionally run Yamaha Ring Free through my older bikes especially after winter to help with the ethanol and other potential issues. It seems to help as far as I can tell.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Sconnie
Cruiser

I was advised by the dealer who sold me mine to use it in every other fill-up. It does seem to smooth the ride out, I can definitely tell if I forget it.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Simple Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docrobinson
... We have seen quite a few fuel system problems with the ethanol fuel when left untreated for long lengths of time. alot of corrosion in the carb bowls, ...
This has been my experience too. Any carb I clean anymore has corrosion at the bowl gasket and any other internal rubber o-rings. Star Tron and Lucas are great products. I used to be a believer in Sea Foam, but they changed the formulation and I won't use it anymore. It smells like straight Iso alcohol now. Several people I know had it in their snowmobiles last winter and burned pistons.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by joel83fxrs
I have just realized the tan crud is coating the inside of my otherwize immaculate fuel tank on my 83 fxrs. Just rebilt carb n have come to the conclusion that the tan crud is my problem. Also the bike has been running poorly n i was thinking i may have to do the top end again, was just done 4500 miles ago. I'm just wondering if there's an easy fix product i can use to clean out the tan crud or what i should do cuz the way it's running i hate to run that gunk through the carb. Always use 93 oct. Gas
In my weedwacker, that stuff was so hard I had to use a sharp pic, very carefully to clean up the passages.
It was very hard, and I really do not
think cleaner will take care of it, that's how hard it was.
I have had good luck with seafoam, but I don't think even seafoam will
touch that stuff. Possibly an ultrasonic cleaner, but it would take a long time.
Once the tan deposits start to build up, it teardown time for the carb.
Never heard if it in tanks yet, but who inspects their tank inside, unless they are having trouble like you.