General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diamondback brake line recall-Softail/Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts
Default Diamondback brake line recall-Softail/Dyna

Safety Recall Campaign 0146

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Parts & Accessories Diamondback and Diamond-Black modular accessory brake lines intended for dealer or customer installation on certain Model Year 1996 and later Dyna models and certain Model Year 2000 and later Softail models. (See attachment for list of affected Part & Accessories brake line kits.) Due to an issue with the material used for the inner liner, these Parts and Accessory brake lines may be susceptible to cracking and leaking if they are kinked or otherwise mishandled during installation and routing. If a leak occurs and remains undetected, the rider may experience a reduction in brake performance, increasing the risk of a crash which could lead to injury or death of the rider.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0146) to allow us to formally recall all affected accessory brake lines. The remedy is the dealers will inspect the motorcycle to confirm if the accessory brake line is included in this recall. If it is included, the dealer will remove the affected accessory brake line and replace it with a redesigned brake line, included in the appropriate recall kit, at no charge to the customer. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within approximately one week.

Based on the current schedule our supplier has provided, we expect to begin accepting recall kit orders by the week of March 5, 2012 (updates will be provided on h-dnet.com). Included with this document is an illustration that will also be in the Service Bulletin. Note that all accessory brake lines have an indicator stripe of some type, but only the affected lines have a short blue “dash” type of stripe approximately .210” (5.35mm) in length. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In the interest of the safety of our mutual customers and as required by law, you may sell but NOT DELIVER any motorcycles fitted with the defective Parts & Accessories brake line kits until the remedy is completed. You may NOT SELL OR DELIVER any of the defective kits.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Safety Recall Campaign 0146

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Parts & Accessories Diamondback and Diamond-Black modular accessory brake lines intended for dealer or customer installation on certain Model Year 1996 and later Dyna models and certain Model Year 2000 and later Softail models. (See attachment for list of affected Part & Accessories brake line kits.) Due to an issue with the material used for the inner liner, these Parts and Accessory brake lines may be susceptible to cracking and leaking if they are kinked or otherwise mishandled during installation and routing. If a leak occurs and remains undetected, the rider may experience a reduction in brake performance, increasing the risk of a crash which could lead to injury or death of the rider.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0146) to allow us to formally recall all affected accessory brake lines. The remedy is the dealers will inspect the motorcycle to confirm if the accessory brake line is included in this recall. If it is included, the dealer will remove the affected accessory brake line and replace it with a redesigned brake line, included in the appropriate recall kit, at no charge to the customer. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within approximately one week.

Based on the current schedule our supplier has provided, we expect to begin accepting recall kit orders by the week of March 5, 2012 (updates will be provided on h-dnet.com). Included with this document is an illustration that will also be in the Service Bulletin. Note that all accessory brake lines have an indicator stripe of some type, but only the affected lines have a short blue “dash” type of stripe approximately .210” (5.35mm) in length. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In the interest of the safety of our mutual customers and as required by law, you may sell but NOT DELIVER any motorcycles fitted with the defective Parts & Accessories brake line kits until the remedy is completed. You may NOT SELL OR DELIVER any of the defective kits.
Based on the sections I have highlighted, it sounds like they will replace at N/C even if customer installed? Wow, that's unexpected.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you find this? I'm looking for the attachment as I have a diamond black brake line on my bike.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by nkauf21
Where did you find this? I'm looking for the attachment as I have a diamond black brake line on my bike.
Click HERE for the chart

Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
11FXS
Tourer

Yeah I logged into their site this morning and received this message.. I have an 11' Blackline
"There are one or more open recalls on your vehicle:
BlackLine
VIN:
The following list contains the campaign number and a brief description:
Recall Notice: 0146: RCL:BRAKELINE KITS
We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details."

Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did have Diamondback lines until I replaced them with Magnum Sterling Chromite II cables when I changed out my bars.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Click HERE for the chart
Thanks, I have the 1 piece brake line so it looks like I'm in the clear.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Had me worried there for a sec... I've got Diamondbacks... modular in front... but my p/ns are not listed in the above chart.... I'll keep a close eye on anyway..

Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to my dealer about this yesterday, I bought my DiamondBlack lines last year, and since them the part numbers changed..they did a cross-reference on them, and my upper line was changed to a number that IS on the list. the guy at the dealer didn't know if it was recalled or not so he was going to call Harley, and i'm calling him back later today to find out.. but reading through the service bulletin PDF at the dealer, we noticed the recalled lines are marked with a dashed blue line on the outside of the casing.. the blue lines are about 5mm long, along the entire outer length of the cable, which my cable doesn't have.

The point of this is, when they changed the part numbers, they may have changed how they manufactured the cables..so im going to find out if mine is recalled later on. If it IS, then my suggestion to everyone with these lines is to try to find the part number that you bought/have, call your dealer and tell them to cross-reference it with the new part number and find out anyways.. soo..yeah..ill post my result later

Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
motorcycletom
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has a Softail and got the same recall info. We looked into it and was told the lines changed because of ABS on Softails. All lines with the listed parts numbers on the chart have different construction, so unless your lines have those numbers and the short blue dashes, they are OK.