General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old HDs - potential restoration costs

Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Default Old HDs - potential restoration costs

Greetings,

I'm still pretty new here, and pretty new to the HD world. I can tell you lots about 97-03 Heritage Springers, because that has been my quest for the past 10 months. However, I'm still relatively ignorant to the differences between pans, knuckles, irons, flats, etc. Plus, I really don't have the intention of messing with what I consider to be "perfection". Just my opinion, but I'm likely going to leave the springer largely the way it is.

I'm looking for a new project. I can turn a wrench with the best of them, and I've restored and/or modified everything from old Mopars, old Pontiacs, old Porsches, to new Subarus. I can fix/restore just about anything. The Goldwing served its purpose, and with the popularity of the Cafe racer right now, and the excellent mechanical condition it is in, it is worth around $2500... which is fine with me. I dont mind dumping a couple Gs on top of that on an old Harley project.

The problem doesn't lie with the potential bike itself... it lies with the associated cost and availability of parts for certain models/years etc. I simply haven't been in the HD world long enough to know the difference. I've been looking at project bikes from the late 50s to the early 80s.... I like them all... cruisers, sportsters, touring models... all of them, and I can see the "coolness" factor in just about anything. But while some are relatively easy and inexpensive to obtain parts for (relatively speaking of course), some might be nearly impossible.

I learned that lesson the hard way with a couple old Porsche 914s I've owned.... cheap engines (VW parts)... yet ABSURD interior and body parts (Porsche specific). Obviously I still love those little bastard cars though. (hence my handle)

So.... to the experts... what would you recommend? I'm looking for answers like:

"Don't buy XXXX bike, the parts are unobtainable... or rediculously expensive"

"Look for XXXX bike with XXXX motor, easy to find parts, etc."

"If you do choose XXXX bike, watch out for problem areas like XXXXX"

I'm looking to drop 4 or 5k on a project bike... and maybe another 2 or 3k in parts over the course of a year or so. I'm not interested in 100 point restorations.... just fixer-uppers that are cool and I can ride around town.. something I can tinker with on the weekends, etc.

... It keeps me sane

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Last edited by ninefourteener; 03-02-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guys in the Vintage section are really the ones to ask. Out here, you'll just get smart-*** answers like this one.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I bought a basket case 1942 WLA for $4K, put another $2k in new old stock parts, assembled it in my living room.

I learned a lot about that bike, but the cool thing is you'll spend the rest of your life learning about them all- but that still won't be enough.

My recommendation is to buy an already running bike and repair it as needed- you'll learn everything about it eventually and you will trust it's ability.

My pick is a Panhead or Shovelhead for an old bike- a 1957-65 Pan or 1982-83 Shovel, but then again, a 1984 Evolution has chain drive and shovelhead lower case- pretty cool too!

http://www.stumblehere.com/classifie...-4-800--519152
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/2857175281.html
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/2857353129.html

Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,691 Likes on 6,172 Posts

Depends on how much of a purist you are...That price range is smack in the middle of Shovelhead territory. As long as you aren't trying to do a 100 point museum piece, cost isn't any worse than for newer bikes and there are lots of parts still available. For functional application, J&P has an entire separate vintage catalog. Those of us that run old bikes with daily use and long-range capability have lots of improvements done that drift a bit away from stock anyway.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM

For this project, purism is of very little value to me. Used parts, aftermarket parts.... as long as they work properly, I'm happy. I was looking at the JP website, and you are right, it appears that engine and mechanical parts are pretty easy to come by.

Which makes me think I might want to look for a "minimalist" bike, and avoid touring models with bags, fairings, etc... because it appears that is where the money starts hurting, simply because of the lack of available parts.

Pointman - Chances are, I'll just pick something up off eBay. Craigslist is full of people that think their %$#@ is made of gold.... even though they have already tried the eBay route, and allowed the buyer's market to determine the "realistic" value of what they are selling... and ended up disappointed.... and stuck with something worth much less than they think it is.

And yes, I love the "Craigslist posters on crack" thread!

I will definitely buy something with a running engine though, as a minimum. Replacing engines really breaks the budget for a project like this. If it runs, has decent sheetmetal, and doesn't break the bank... I'm happy.. its a good starting point.

I generally don't share links to something I'm considering buying.... but I'm a ways away from getting to that point. So I'm kinda thinking some stuff like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harle...#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...#ht_554wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Romme...ht_8019wt_1165

Last edited by ninefourteener; 03-02-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

For that kind of money id buy a evo big twin. Also
The 79 sportster is bastard year. I do like the top
One though.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefourteener
I'm looking to drop 4 or 5k on a project bike... and maybe another 2 or 3k in parts over the course of a year or so. I'm not interested in 100 point restorations.... just fixer-uppers that are cool and I can ride around town.

That budget is a little tight. But in that price range you are looking at Shovels, EVOs and Twin Cams. I'm not sure 2-3K will be enough to fix anything you find in that purchase range. They are out there but you will have to do some work to find them. More selections should start popping up very soon.

92+ Evo = little better engine, more parts available.

Shovel = I'd look for a later 80".

XL = Avoid 1979 parts are hard to find.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefourteener
For this project, purism is of very little value to me. Used parts, aftermarket parts.... as long as they work properly, I'm happy. I was looking at the JP website, and you are right, it appears that engine and mechanical parts are pretty easy to come by.

Which makes me think I might want to look for a "minimalist" bike, and avoid touring models with bags, fairings, etc... because it appears that is where the money starts hurting, simply because of the lack of available parts.

Pointman - Chances are, I'll just pick something up off eBay. Craigslist is full of people that think their %$#@ is made of gold.... even though they have already tried the eBay route, and allowed the buyer's market to determine the "realistic" value of what they are selling... and ended up disappointed.... and stuck with something worth much less than they think it is.

And yes, I love the "Craigslist posters on crack" thread!

I will definitely buy something with a running engine though, as a minimum. Replacing engines really breaks the budget for a project like this. If it runs, has decent sheetmetal, and doesn't break the bank... I'm happy.. its a good starting point.

I generally don't share links to something I'm considering buying.... but I'm a ways away from getting to that point. So I'm kinda thinking some stuff like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harle...#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...#ht_554wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Romme...ht_8019wt_1165
Personally I would stay away from the ironhead sportsers but that shovel looks good. You should be able to find one for $4K or less.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
That budget is a little tight. But in that price range you are looking at Shovels, EVOs and Twin Cams. I'm not sure 2-3K will be enough to fix anything you find in that purchase range. They are out there but you will have to do some work to find them. More selections should start popping up very soon.

92+ Evo = little better engine, more parts available.

Shovel = I'd look for a later 80".

XL = Avoid 1979 parts are hard to find.
My entire budget for that white evo soft tail was less than he plans on spending to fix his project. I still haven't crossed the $3K threshold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old HDs - potential restoration costs