General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightest and easiest bike to handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Doublerunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightest and easiest bike to handle

My wife and I usually ride 2 up on my our ultra classic. My wife is wanting to get a smaller bike to ride solo. She is very petite and not very strong and is concerned about the weight of the bikes and handling. In your opinions what would be the lightest HD available and what is the easiest to handle? Are they one and the same? Perhaps not but she is very nervous about it.

All advice welcome
Thanks
John

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a lady yesterday, she was about 5'4'' 98~104lbs., riding an ultra/super-glide???, if that is any help. Suggestion would be to let her take a riding course and then go sit on and try different bikes at the dealers.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Bones77
Road Captain

I'd suggest a Yamaha 650 V Star. Know several ladies of petite stature that ride this bike. Very good for the beginner. Shouldn't get hung up on the Harley name. Ride what fits you and is fun.

Bones

Attached Thumbnails Lightest and easiest bike to handle-v-star.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones77
I'd suggest a Yamaha 650 V Star. Know several ladies of petite stature that ride this bike. Very good for the beginner. Shouldn't get hung up on the Harley name. Ride what fits you and is fun.

Bones
I agree. Buy a used metric bike around 500-650 cc's to learn on and then sell it and move up. If you have to have a Harley, I'd say the Sportster Low 883 would probably be the best bet.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Another vote for the mid sized metrics. A lot depends on the size, strength and ability of the rider but for most the 600cc or 650cc metric cruisers are good.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

v star is a great bike with a lot of aftermarket available for it...and comfortable to boot

Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM
DSPORT
Cruiser

i started on the 650 vstar classic, was a great starter bike and then i moved up to the harley after a year on that. But yes take the course for sure

Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a lot of people learn on a Honda Shadow. Great thing is there are a million of them out there and a dime a dozen around here. Also, my brother had a V-Star 600 and light and easy to learn on and low. One metric company has a 250 cruiser out, cant remember who but someone on here knows....

Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
I agree. Buy a used metric bike around 500-650 cc's to learn on and then sell it and move up. If you have to have a Harley, I'd say the Sportster Low 883 would probably be the best bet.
I agree. I tried to start my girl on an 1100 v-star and it was just too much bike for her. She dropped it twice,killed her confidence.
So I found her an old Honda. 1983 450 nighthawk. Great bike to cut her teeth on. Her confidence has improved,she has gotten the "feel" for riding. And if she dumps it it doesn't matter(well as long as she isn't hurt,was referring to the bike getting damaged)
Now you will get alot of guys saying start her on what she is going to ride blah blah blah.
I have learned that the confidence issue is huge. And knowing she can ride is a bigger battle mentally than the actual riding part.
Find a cheap bike that runs,have her ride that til she feels she can ride a bigger bike.
Jmo

Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Have her take MSF or Harley's Riders Edge first. She can get a feel for riding and see where she wants to go from there.
After completing the riders edge course on a Buell Blast 500 my wife felt she did not want a smaller bike to start with. So we bought her a 08 883L. She is 5'1 130 lbs. She has not had any issues except for one parking lot drop = small scratch on engine guard. She rides all the time and loves it. Never had the so called high center of gravity problem with it.

Last edited by Misbehaven; 03-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightest and easiest bike to handle