General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea Foam in the oil tank??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Mine too. Just wasn't sure what you were trying to say. LOL
It's better than T Bag jokes. lol

Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Do it right before oil change. drain a little oil out, Put it in, get it hot, drain oil, flush sump if possible and change filter.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,795 Likes on 1,672 Posts

If you only have 9K on the bike, I don't see any reason to.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Had a buddy who would always put 1 cup of diesel fuel into the crankcase of all their equipment tractors, trucks, cars, etc. prior to changeing the oil. This would keep the engine clean. He bought a used truck with some miles on it and did this when it was time for an oil change and it dropped so much gunk it blocked up the oil pump and ruined the engine from no oil circulating.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

From http://www.seafoamsales.com/using-in-crankcase-oil.html

Sea Foam Motor Treatment may be used in an oil crankcase 2 separate ways, depending on your needs and expectations. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre-service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner and moisture drier. It can also be used as an after-service oil additive. In either application, Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re-liquefy old oil residue. Each method is described below:

As a pre service cleaner for old oil residue, sticky rings or valve train noise, pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil & Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.

As an after service additive into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (based on mileage since last oil change), put the same amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.

Sea Foam is safe to use with all synthetic oils. 100% synthetic oils, and blends of synthetic and petroleum-based oils, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without this compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants. Since Sea Foam ONLY contains petroleum oils, it is entirely compatible with synthetic oils.

Disclaimer: I don't add Seafoam to my oil or gas, in my bike. I used Seafoam on my Vulcan 750, and needed a carb rebuild. Probably no connection, but I stay away from it. I only posted this, because you were asking for it.

Last edited by Ron750; 03-05-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: disclaimer added
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
Had a buddy who would always put 1 cup of diesel fuel into the crankcase of all their equipment tractors, trucks, cars, etc. prior to changeing the oil. This would keep the engine clean. He bought a used truck with some miles on it and did this when it was time for an oil change and it dropped so much gunk it blocked up the oil pump and ruined the engine from no oil circulating.

Yeah, that's why if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it early in it's life to prevent that kind of build-up, and then problem. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Ron750
From http://www.seafoamsales.com/using-in-crankcase-oil.html

Sea Foam Motor Treatment may be used in an oil crankcase 2 separate ways, depending on your needs and expectations. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre-service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner and moisture drier. It can also be used as an after-service oil additive. In either application, Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re-liquefy old oil residue. Each method is described below:

As a pre service cleaner for old oil residue, sticky rings or valve train noise, pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil & Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.

As an after service additive into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (based on mileage since last oil change), put the same amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.

Sea Foam is safe to use with all synthetic oils. 100% synthetic oils, and blends of synthetic and petroleum-based oils, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without this compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants. Since Sea Foam ONLY contains petroleum oils, it is entirely compatible with synthetic oils.

Great info. Thanks!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just change your oil and filter every 5,000 miles or so and you'll be fine. If you let the oil go 10 or 15,000 miles then you should use it. But then you also shouldn't be maintaining your own bike if you do that.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It gets changed every 5k, that's for sure. Only reason I let it go that long is because all of my rides are on the highways around here. Even the back roads are close to highway speeds and just cruising along.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
chevyguy4321
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it in a few hundred miles before the oil change, as for the gas treatment I contacted Sea Foam and asked their recomended frequency this is what I got back.

Nick
In a vehicle that is driven daily Sea Foam recommends adding to fuel every 2-5 thousand miles. In a vehicle that is not driven daily or what I consider my” toys” I add Sea Foam to the fuel all the time. The reason I do this is because Sea Foam not only cleans but adds upper cylinder lube to fuel, controls moisture and stabilizes fuel for up to two years. Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend and is safe for all fuel systems and engines even running Sea Foam in fuel all the time. The biggest reason I add Sea Foam all the time is for the fuel stabilization and to keep my carbs free of gum and varnish build up to keep the engines running and performing correctly.

Jim Davis
Sea Foam Sales Co.
Technical Service Director
ASE Certified Automotive Technician

Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sea Foam in the gas on a Harley motor only. You don't need any in the engine. Harley engines are not prone to sludge like a car. If you want to keep the engine really clean use Redline 20w50 synthetic oil or Mobil1Vtwin 20w50

Quick Reply: Sea Foam in the oil tank??