General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What side of the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Moon-dog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What side of the bike?

OK, I was at my local HD dealer over the weekend with a buddy looking to buy a BRAND NEW RK from them. He went to get on the bike from the left side and the salesman said "WTH dude!!! You never get on a bike from that side when the handle bars are locked; you always get on from the right side of the bike." He made a @ss out of himself and my buddy that came real close to telling him to get Fk'ed just walked away and is headed to Pig Trail HD today to buy a new bike.

I have never heard of mounting from the right side. Is that BS on the salesman??

Just wondering.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In motor officer training you always get on and off from the right. This has to do with protecting yourself from traffic, having your leg clear the seat/radio box, keeping clear of a falling bike, and approching the subject from the passenger side. The driver does not expect you on the other side.

There are other reasons but it's all about safety. I have never known anyone other than police trained riders to mount/dismount this way.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

+1 on what Buzzard said. That's the way I've always heard it. But honestly, sometimes it's just easier on my old bones to swing my leg over from the right side...just depends on the day.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I have mounted many showroom bikes from the left side. Now I know the truth!
What is the risk in the showroom anyway? This guy sounds like the 'anti-salesman' whether he's right or not.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

IDK, I mount from whichever side I'm on at the time. I always dismount to the right, but other than what buzzard said, I don't see a need for a salesman to be a dick about which side your buddy gets on.

This kinda **** really gets me - I see it more & more. In this economy, you'd think that people would be bending over backwards & kissing all kinds of *** to make a sale. I just don't get it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,743 Likes on 6,191 Posts

The dealer by me is big, and there are so many bikes crammed in there right now, you get on from any side that has room to swing your leg over.

When did everyone become so uncoordinated that this actually is important?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who gets on and off a bike from the right?? I mount/dismount from the left - the way the bike is leaning. THat way you can swing your leg over it and scoop it off the stand in one fluid motion without worrying about burning your legs on the (potentially) very hot exhaust pipes. I think I recall being taught this.

Getting on and off to the right makes no sense.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I never paid any attention as I always afraid to screw up in the show room, but why would the handle bars be locked?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

**** That, all this crap you hear about mounting from the right is for motor cops, it;s a safety issue and makes all the sense in the world...for them.

For us? Mounting from the right leaves you exposed to losing your grip and dropping your bike back on the stand. NO. Holy **** should the stand flip up like the monkey piece it is.

It makes you use your back to right a 800lb bike..NO. Use your legs not your back.

You have to lift your leg high 1st from the right and then let it fall downward while your sitting down on seat that is going AWAY from you. This is a recipe for disaster. All your momentum is going towards the left, not an issue if you get a good grip but should your hands slip on a wet grip poor surface, you're body is committed to the left, that's where you and they bike are going.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Bagger71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moon-dog
OK, I was at my local HD dealer over the weekend with a buddy looking to buy a BRAND NEW RK from them. He went to get on the bike from the left side and the salesman said "WTH dude!!! You never get on a bike from that side when the handle bars are locked; you always get on from the right side of the bike." He made a @ss out of himself and my buddy that came real close to telling him to get Fk'ed just walked away and is headed to Pig Trail HD today to buy a new bike.

I have never heard of mounting from the right side. Is that BS on the salesman??

Just wondering.
Mount from whatever side you are comfortable with unless as mentioned and you are a MC officer. Which dealer were you at out of curiosity? Salesman's name?

Quick Reply: What side of the bike?