General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona, Stolen Bike Week.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 AM
TX_Slim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
30 bikes stolen in 2 days, mostly Brand new Softails.

WOW - thanks for the WARNING !

Must be organized ?

I wonder if Lo-Jack (or similar) would have worked / and maybe found all those bikes (in a group storage) ? or Lo-Jack is just BS ?
Don't get Lo Jack. Had my bike stolen about a month ago. The big problem with Lo Jack is that it requires a timely response from your local police department. In my case, they arrived on the scene 2 hours later, and then went to retrieve my bike 10 hours after that. As you can imagine, I got it back in pieces from the chop shop where they found it, and have spent the last 4 weeks trying to get my insurance company to do their job and pay to have it restored. Soon as I do get it back, there's a good chance I'll get the Lo Jack removed, because all it really does is guarantee the worst possible scenario: that I will get it back after all the damage has been done. Imagine knowing they have the power to pinpoint where your stolen bike is and can go get it RIGHT NOW, 15 minutes after it was taken, but after hours and multiple calls to everybody concerned, begging them to do something, nobody will lift a finger.

They need to make some kind of rip/tear/cut-proof motorcycle tarp. That, combined with an alarm system and a heavy security cable is the closest to safe you could get in an open area. But until then, your best bet is a really good insurance policy.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM
JaySwear
Road Captain

I'm terrified of having a bike stolen, but with it being as old as it is I don't know if its too likely. What I REALLY worry about are easily removed parts. I just imagine putting on a nice new AC, walking back to the bike after work, and seeing that my new toy has disappeared off my bike. AC's are compatible with LOTS of model bikes, so it wouldn't surprise me too much.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,605 Likes on 5,173 Posts

Not as big a problem as some think. Many bike thief's are just arranged payment avoidance plans

Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

If you had used Amsoil it would have prevented the theft. It's the cure all fix all oil !

Old 08-11-2013, 10:49 AM
WirelessJesus
3rd Gear
Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 AM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait....Brand New FLSTF Stolen. Then you bought what???? Another FLSTF right? (frigit lets steal the fugger). Good thing I had a new Dyna that year. Even the bags stayed.

Last edited by 300Slim; 08-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,420 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I think the best 'alarm' would be the Mad Max method - rig it to blow if someone dicks with it.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Nans94
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OsoFat
Texas still has the "castle doctrine" which makes it legal to use deadly force on someone caught stealing your stuff.
Not saying...just saying.
My bike was stolen... Found in Jasper Texas, in the bastards yard, under a tarp, and the local law enforcement wouldn't do a damn thing to the guy that had it !! The city said it was a county matter, the county said it was a judicial matter..all they did was pass the buck. In the mean time, I had to spend 896.00 at Beaumont Harley to have it put back together so it would run cause they pulled all the wires out of the switches trying to figure out how to start it, then when that failed, they had tried to take the motor out of it.. so much for " castle doctrine"

Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My uncle had a 2001 fxd and thousands of dollars worth of tools parked at his x gf's house when he was dying. Bike was supposed to go to my aunt and cousin along with the tools. B**ch had her brother come get everything. They never saw any of it again and there was no insurance on the bike. It all went up her nose, and she works for a local police dept so obviously nothing came of it. I'm sure the bike was parted out and chopped within the first day of it missing. What I would give for 5 minutes alone with that...

I always keep an eye on my wg everywhere I go. If it's out of my sight it's not for long. The rk on the other hand I've left out at myrtle beach bike week all damn night while we were hopping from place to place. I wouldn't be too upset if it got stolen, I have full coverage and the only parts I've put on are the bars. I'm too damn attached to the wg to even think of some little punk's putting their grubby little fingers on it.

Last edited by agove; 08-11-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Nans94
My bike was stolen... Found in Jasper Texas, in the bastards yard, under a tarp, and the local law enforcement wouldn't do a damn thing to the guy that had it !! The city said it was a county matter, the county said it was a judicial matter..all they did was pass the buck. In the mean time, I had to spend 896.00 at Beaumont Harley to have it put back together so it would run cause they pulled all the wires out of the switches trying to figure out how to start it, then when that failed, they had tried to take the motor out of it.. so much for " castle doctrine"
That is not what the "castle doctrine" is for. Texas Penal Code offers immunity for protection of property this way but only during night time hours:

§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and (3) he reasonably believes that: (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Quick Reply: Daytona, Stolen Bike Week.