Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Another Narrow Escape (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/749292-another-narrow-escape.html)

afoulsmell 03-28-2012 12:06 PM

Another Narrow Escape

So I was riding to the store for a bag of cat food this morning. It was nice outside- about 70 degrees. I'm on a divided four lane that snakes through a mixed residential/business type area. Posted 35MPH. I'm cruising along, really happy with my morning ride- then I see him. A motor cop, hiding behind a store front. And just as soon as I was able to see him, I see him buttoning things down in order to ride. So of course I knew what time it was. I looked down and saw to my horror that I was doing 41. Man, it's been forever and a day since I got a ticket. So I took the next side street- it was only like 20 feet ahead. I pulled over and started looking back in my mirror. The motor cop had continued on after a car that was apparently behind me. I hadn't noticed it, so I'm guessing they were hauling ass :) I went through the parking lot just in time to see the cop dismount and start walking to the car. He waved at me, and I guess he knew I thought it was my ass. What a relief. I wonder if I was really going a lot slower than the car, or did he cut me some slacks? I wonder how often motor cops do that for dudes on bikes? Like, say for instance, all things being equal, if he's picking between a car and a bike, does he cut the bike a break?

Havic08 03-28-2012 12:12 PM

I do not know how they chose but I have had the same thing happen to me. Glad you did not get one and he was watching behind you :)

All the bike cops in my area wave at me, something I was not expecting.

hollowpoint 03-28-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by afoulsmell (Post 9587031)
The motor cop had continued on after a car that was apparently behind me. I hadn't noticed it, so I'm guessing they were hauling ass

If he was using radar, it would have picked up the larger vehicle even though it was not the leading vehicle. They work that way you know.

My401k 03-28-2012 12:18 PM

Depends on the cop. In my area the Warthogs have a lot of active duty members. Would they choose the cage over the bike if all things were equal?

Damned if I know what goes on in a cop's mind.

2black1s 03-28-2012 12:24 PM

I think 41 in a 35 is something that you'll get away with 99.9% of the time, so I wouldn't think he was cutting you any slack, you were simply below his radar so to speak.

As for motorcycle cops in general, I've experienced both ways. I gotten some breaks, but I've also gotten ticketed for BS situations.

jaysledge 03-28-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by My401k (Post 9587086)
Damned if I know what goes on in a cop's mind.

I do .......Doughnuts....mmmmmmmm :icon_eating:

afoulsmell 03-28-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by hollowpoint (Post 9587073)
If he was using radar, it would have picked up the larger vehicle even though it was not the leading vehicle. They work that way you know.

But don't they have a "smart" setup that allows them to pinpoint the vehicle? I kind of imagine it as being a dot they can place on a vehicle, as they're looking through the little view finder. I usually know when I've got someone close to me, that's why I mentioned that I didn't notice the car behind me- so I figured they must have been coming up behind me with speed. Maybe what you're saying is right. Maybe the electron beam is compelled toward the larger vehicle... magnetically ;) I don't know, that's for sure.

RHPAW 03-28-2012 01:35 PM

As long as you're overthinking the situation, have you considered that this entire episode was the cat's fault?

frankharley07 03-28-2012 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by RHPAW (Post 9587396)
As long as you're overthinking the situation, have you considered that this entire episode was the cat's fault?

My thought exactly!!

Captain Smooth 03-28-2012 01:42 PM

41 in a 35? Here NY where I live as long as you are within 10mph you are usually safe from being pulled over. They save there effort for the big offenders around these parts. Only place where that may be different is a school zone.