General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Idle???

Old 03-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts
Exclamation Fast Idle???

I have an idle issue with my '10 Street Bob, just shy of 15k miles if that matters. It wants to idle really fast most of the time. I don't know how fast, because I don't have a tach. If I put it in 1st gear it "idles" at or above 20mph, my first gear over all ratio is 9.311:1, so what rpm would that be?

It started doing this a couple weeks ago. I thought I just needed to get out and let everything get up to temp and it would settle down. Well, it did for a few minutes today, then after I "got on it" a little it was high again. I took it to a local chopper shop, one of the mechanics thinks its the idle air control motor. We pulled the air cleaner off, and when he plugged the hole where the motor goes and it immediately went to normal idle speed, pull the finger off the hole and it went right back up.

I read another thread about idle problems and a guy said he changed several things to include the idle control motor without success and ended up being the throttle position sensor. I went a head and order both parts, being over here and paying shipping anyway I figured I'd be better off having both of them in hand when I try to fix it again.

I've also read that the computer is confused from the key being turned off with high motor speed. That only happened after it decided to idle way high. I tried the on 4/off 8 second trick to reset the computer, it didn't do anything.

Anyone have experience with this?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 AM
NightHunter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that to every once in awhil is 10 I'll be watching this post, sorry no help,

Last edited by NightHunter; 02-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I assume there is a dealer over there...if so, I'm thinking I would run it by them before you start throwing in parts hit or miss.

Sorry, that's the best I can do. Mine idles right around 1050 average.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member

There is a dealer here, my first thought after going to the other shop was to take it to them, but I didn't feel like spending $500 to have them look at it. If the parts I ordered don't do anything I'll suck it up and take it to them.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running a PCV? If so inspect the plug for moisture

Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine on a long trip. This problem occured intermittently prior to the trip. On this trip we could not get the idle to come down. We removed the air filter and found a lot of gunk. Cleaned everything with carburetor cleaner in the Autozone parking lot. Problem solved and it has worked great ever sense.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
Are you running a PCV? If so inspect the plug for moisture
I don't think so...but maybe I don't know what a PCV is?

Originally Posted by bamarider
Same thing happened to a buddy of mine on a long trip. This problem occured intermittently prior to the trip. On this trip we could not get the idle to come down. We removed the air filter and found a lot of gunk. Cleaned everything with carburetor cleaner in the Autozone parking lot. Problem solved and it has worked great ever sense.
There was "some" gunk in there, but nothing out of the norm. We sprayed some carb cleaner in there, it didn't seem to do anything for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry. I got nothing to help you. But it is your fault ya know. I just can't resist your avatar. DANG is she hot!!!!!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Sethjamto
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Toad
Sorry. I got nothing to help you. But it is your fault ya know. I just can't resist your avatar. DANG is she hot!!!!!
Honestly thats the only reason I'm reading this thread!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just turn the idle screw a bit counter-clockwise... Oh wait you have FI, take it to the dealer for probably a $400 repair...

Just breaking chops but really I have no clue what your issue is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast Idle???