General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Freakin Deacon
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the Forum...unfortunately about a year too late. Lots of good info here about the failure of the Cam Chain Tensioners. Switched mine out last winter (plus new cams) Better ride now and peace of mind. Until of course something breaks I didnt expect!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ummmm....welcome to a decade ago. This is a very well know problem for any early TC88. Tons of info out there on it, on the internet and otherwise. Solution: Get rid of that stock crap, upgrade to new HD type or go with gear drive.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 04-03-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
. I spoke to dealer, they told me they would NOT replace old style shoes. They only do the upgrade cam plate/oil pump and of course recommend, new bearings upgraded cam, adjustable push rods, lifters, exaust, power commander, dyno. What kind of F'n racket are they running over there. .....
That's complete BS. I'm referring to the dealer, not you. I 100% believe the scumbags told you that. 10 years ago, every freakin' dealer in the country was replacing those shoes, or doing gear drive upgrades. Believe me, I had it done, so did a bunch of my buddies, and I'll bet thousands of guys on here as well.

I can't believe they told you that. Oh, but I'm certain they're serious. As in, they'll refuse to do it without taking you for more money (with other upgrades). Granted, the cam plate/oil pump upgrade is a good one, especially for early twinkies..but still.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,869 Likes on 722 Posts

I've thought about it. Got an 05 that will hit 70K tonight on the way home. Have not replaced the shoes yet. They looked pretty good last winter at 55K. I spoke to dealer, they told me they would NOT replace old style shoes. They only do the upgrade cam plate/oil pump and of course recommend, new bearings upgraded cam, adjustable push rods, lifters, exaust, power commander, dyno. What kind of F'n racket are they running over there. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Yeah, nothing in the owners manual or service manual about even checking those F'ers.
Should have been a class action suit a long time ago on this one. I realize that a retro fit for free is expensive. Yeah, I've been one of the luckier ones so far but I'm on borrowed time now. I can't afford what the dealer "thinks" I should do.
I've got a slight oil seep in the rear rocker cover, so I know I will have to remove the tank to change the gasket. May as well slip the push rods out, clamp up the lifters, remove cam chest cover, take out the plate and replace the shoes myself. May take a couple of days to do but .....
Cro, I would be scared shitless about those shoes at 70K miles. That twinkie is a ticking time bomb with the original shoes still in at that many miles. The bad part is that you'll never know when they're going to go on you. If they do, you're looking at a couple of grand $$ down the toilet…especially if the dealer does the work.

If you can't afford to go with gear driven cams, at least replace the shoes on your own. The dealer that refuses to perform that job for you is a bullshit dealership. It was Harley's shitty design to have those cheap pieces of crap in there to begin with…you'd think that they would offer owners some kind of discount or deal to replace them.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Shockcollar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
Ummmm....welcome to a decade ago. This is a very well know problem for any early TC88. Tons of info out there on it, on the internet and otherwise. Solution: Get rid of that stock crap, upgrade to new HD type or go with gear drive.
Real solution: Get a better built bike, Triumph, Vic, or go jap any of these will do....

Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yep, old news unfortunatley. I'll prob do mine next year when I get close to 20K

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've thought about it. Got an 05 that will hit 70K tonight on the way home. Have not replaced the shoes yet. They looked pretty good last winter at 55K. I spoke to dealer, they told me they would NOT replace old style shoes. They only do the upgrade cam plate/oil pump and of course recommend, new bearings upgraded cam, adjustable push rods, lifters, exaust, power commander, dyno. What kind of F'n racket are they running over there. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Yeah, nothing in the owners manual or service manual about even checking those F'ers.
Should have been a class action suit a long time ago on this one. I realize that a retro fit for free is expensive. Yeah, I've been one of the luckier ones so far but I'm on borrowed time now. I can't afford what the dealer "thinks" I should do.
I've got a slight oil seep in the rear rocker cover, so I know I will have to remove the tank to change the gasket. May as well slip the push rods out, clamp up the lifters, remove cam chest cover, take out the plate and replace the shoes myself. May take a couple of days to do but .....

I just did it 3 weeks ago as my first motor project
It took about 3 hours total. I took the rockers off (not the box) and removed the push-rods and tubes. I reused all the stock stuff, new front and back shoes, kept original cam bearings (plan on doing a cam swap this winter)

The parts are 60 bucks for each of the tensioners.
I have a service manual and a you tube link.....it was not a biggie to just swap out the stock parts till later

I am traveling and on my company laptop so the bookmark is not with me but do a search on you tube and you will find some real detailed instructions

Good luck

Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
yep, old news unfortunatley. I'll prob do mine next year when I get close to 20K

Hey Schu, what do you do with that thing? Sit in the garage and stare at it all night? 20K Really?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Schu, what do you do with that thing? Sit in the garage and stare at it all night? 20K Really?
well, when I got it it had 6K on it. I've ridden it about 7K from last July until now. Figure I'll get 7 or 8K in this year, and that will knock it up to around 20. Heck, I've put more miles on it in 9 months than the previous owner did in 8 years

Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

you'd think that they would offer owners some kind of discount or deal to replace them.

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88