General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throw-over saddle bags, no bracket?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:41 AM
nolabel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw-over saddle bags, no bracket?

I have a question about securing throw-over saddle bags to the bike, without bolt-on mounting brackets. Will they blow around and hit the caliper etc? Never used bags, don't want brackets, so just trying to figure out in advance of purchase if throw-overs can be properly secured. Do they blow around without tying them down (eg: to swing-arm etc)? And if so, is tying them off against the swing arm etc enough to prevent them blowing around and/or hitting the caliper???

Thanks in advance for feedback. Apologies if this question has been asked before.

PS: set up will be on an FXR with solo seat, so the pair I am looking at is slanted to sit behind the shocks but covering the side indicators (not a real issue as I have a universal stop/indicator light that is high visibility on the back fender). And yes, I know I will require a new bolt to secure the seat, which will have to be longer due to the extra thickness of the yolk underneath the back lip (doubles as an uncomfortable passenger seat!).

Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like the same setup I had. Yes, soft bags will blow around. I don't know how you would attach them to the swing arm, because the swing arm is actively moving up and down.

I put a support bracket on because without it, the bags would hit the brake rotors or the pulley as they were flopping around.

Here's a link to what I installed.
http://www.debrix.com/USA-Made-Saddl...p/74-62-mw.htm

Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
nolabel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link Pass Rider. I am trying to avoid a bracket if possible, but I didn't know there was one out there for an FXR. Looks like that bracket could be mounted either over the shock (bag would hide shock), or behind the shock. But behind the shock looks like I would have to remove or shift my indicators, in order to affix the back arm of the bracket, right? I normally don't have bags, I just need em for an upcoming 5 day trip, so am not keen on needing to change anything (permanently) for temporary brackets.

As for tying off on the swing arm, I only meant tying from the bag's middle-inside tie-off loop to the swing arm, to try and pull the bag vertically out away from the caliper. Some horizontal movement would remain, of course. I was hoping tying off the bag at it's 3 loop points (top, front and back, to whatever (top of shock, indicator lights), and middl-inside to swing arm) would be enough to prevent it blowing around and/or moving vertically in to touch the caliper???

Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will want support brackets like Pass Rider suggests. They will also protect the painted surfaces like the swing arm.

Once the bags & brackets are positioned, I drilled 1/4" holes through the back of the bags, 4 to a side, and used zip ties to hold them firmly to the brackets. A jack knife is used to remove the bags.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The FXRS Convertible came w/ q/d soft luggage; I had an '89.

On my FXDC no brackets or tie-downs are necessary and they don't blow around; the sissy bar prevents it from sliding off. Expect to see a tiny bit of paint rubbing wherever they touch.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,851 Likes on 8,234 Posts

I use wire ties......

Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Depends on the bags and the bike. I had one bike where the bags hung against the outside of the shocks, I didn't need a bracket. Also if you are using them for travel loaded bags don't blow around much.
Anywhere the bag rubs against paint or chromed plastic it will wear through.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Toss over bags will rub if they don't have the brackets unless you go the big buck bags and if your going that far just get the semi hard bags with the hidden removal-able mounts cost about the same .

Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Tie wraps.Name:  029.jpg
Views: 4050
Size:  73.2 KB

Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a guy that has a Yamaha cruiser. He put throw over bags on it and I told him he needed brackets. He didn't listen and the bags rubbed the tire till it wore a hole in the bags.

When his clothes in the bag started smokin people were blowiin their car horns to get his attention. He stopped just before the clothes started flamin.

Like I said, I told him not to do that. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throw-over saddle bags, no bracket?