General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Beads vs Ride-on tire sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yrs ago I used a Liquid balancer called Balance Plus and it also would seal up leaks.But it was very corrosive and it would eat Aluminum.Is Ride On corrosive?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
Which is better at wheel balancing? If they both balance equally, then the advantage goes to Ride-on for the extra tire sealant protection.

Would like to get rid of my wheel weights on the next set of tires. I ride with tubes so understand that sealants don't work as well as if it were tubeless. But hoping some tire installers are on this board who have experience with both.
Dyna beads? Any thing like Mardi Gra beads? Nothing like the real thing.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious about Ride-on also. The biggest complaint about Slime is when you go to have the tire repaired, or when replacing the tire with a new one, there's all that nasty slime stuff everywhere in it. Tire changers hate the stuff more than anything. What do they feel about Ride-On?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I
ve heard horror stories about Slime but they say Ride-On is nothing like Slime. Tire techs have no issues with Ride-On.

Anyway - I use it in my bikes and love it. I rode him on the freeway in nasty rain and horrible traffic. Made it home safe. The next morning the Ride-On resettled to the bottom (normal) and my tire was flat.

Had I not had Ride-On in there I would have had a front tire disaster for sure the night before.

I love this stuff.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Doesnt sound like any real negatives on Ride-on so will give it a try first on my front wheel. Since I run a tube, should not be a problem with cleanup of rims, unless I get a flat. I have another few thousand left on the tire so if it doesnt do its job on balancing, will try the dyna beads.

Curious on the last post that had a flat the next day. I read that it supposed to seal the puncture so would not expect it to be flat, unless the stuff when in settles to the bottom then unseals the puncture.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
...The tire balanced nuts-on with no weights either way and rides smooth as glass at 70.
The older guy who mounted my tire was of the belief that you can put weights on all day long and it doesn't make any difference.
I've had a couple so close we didn't bother with weights, especially on smaller tires, but to say none of them need weights, naw, can say from experience that one's an old garage mechanic's misconception. For those of us that like to do triple digit occasionally, an out of balance tire is real noticeable.

Originally Posted by DonN
... Curious on the last post that had a flat the next day. I read that it supposed to seal the puncture so would not expect it to be flat, unless the stuff when in settles to the bottom then unseals the puncture.
I've had that happen on both cars and bikes, go out in the morning, flat tire. You get something in there and it takes hours to deflate, doesn't do enough to notice on a ride home from work.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm installing new Dunlops on my Ultra tomorrow (Sat.), and plan on using Dyna Beads. My buddy who does all of his own wrenching on his '09 EG (He's a career USAF/NG aircraft mechanic) has used them for years and swears by them.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand that if the hole is big then the ride on may seal it while you are moving but may allow it to unseal after you stop and the product settles a bit.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dyna beads

I have had beads in for around 30+K and NO issues at all. Ride smooth and will not fall off as sticky weights do. Also reusable when you change tires.

I also carry co2 Tool to re inflate after I plug a hole.

Last edited by ranger351w; 05-12-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Ride On. It's balances and seals holes. I've used it in two sets of tires and won't use anything else.

I had "tire trouble" a few weeks ago and made it almost 200 miles before I could get to some air.

Quick Reply: Dyna Beads vs Ride-on tire sealant