General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying for less than MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I go into the local dealer with a buddy then the dealer knows they are not getting MSRP and they are going to get abused, but the sales guys always buy me a beer at the bike nights, it's part of the game to see who has the most fortitude. They will stick to the MSRP or above for as long as they can, I usually hit them with a low ball down right insulting offer and talk discounts right off the bat. If it is a big dealership and the sales guy is being a ****, blank him and go talk to another, that has yielded some good play for me in the past because I guarantee you they compete against each other.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 AM
dschock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. This forum is going to be invaluable for me. This really helps set my expectations. I don't mind paying MSRP if that's the best I can get. But it sounds like I might be able to do just a little better. I just didn't want to pay MSRP and find out later I could have easily knocked 1-2K off. My attitude has always been, I don't mind getting screwed as long as I feel good about it. Thanks for all the feedback. I look forward to our discussions on the forum.

dave

Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on far far you are willing to travel and I guarantee you can get a bike for under MSRP. Shop the internet for best price and you'll get it

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Don't be in a hurry, there are deals out there, you just have to shop around till you find them.

Discounts of $500 to a grand off list can be found but you have to look.
Plus discounts on their merchandise are possible too.

I just went though it and you'll find a reasonable deal out there if you look.

Al

Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

My experience has been that the time of year, desired model, and most importantly negotiating skills will greatly influence what you will have to pay....

Unfortunately you are in the prime riding season and looking at a popular model.... not like if it was the dead of Winter and you wanted a left over Sportster or Dyna.....

But anyway...there are things that you can do to help you out.... negotiate during the last week of the month as all these guys are under quota requirements....try to negotiate directly with a sales manager, not a newbie salesman who just adds another finger in the pie...... negotiate with CASH, even if you have to source it first with other credit venues........ show them the money, make sure they know that you have it....be prepared to WALK AWAY..... when I bought my RoadKing in '09, the dealer told me no fewer than a dozen times that there was no way that they could let her go for my offer, they kept chipping away towards my price but didn't get close, so finally I said I had enough and would find a dealer that wanted my money and headed for the truck....I already told them that I could write a check for it on the spot......... three of them actually caught up with me leaving the parking lot and said OK..... I said nope, deals off the table now..... they ended up $400 under what I had originally offered them.... I got her out the door for $1970 under MSRP with no shipping, set up, or stupid doc fees.....

Do you homework, work your plan, and be patient....good luck!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The prices vary by location. If you're in a market that is over saturated with HD dealers then you will likely pay below MSRP. We have about 7 dealers within a 100 mile radius of me and you can easily get $1000 off MSRP without even trying.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Timing is everything

Getting below MSRP gets easier the closer you get to the next model year introduction. I bought mine in July when the new ones were about to be released, and asked for $2K off MSRP, and got $1500 off but then got a $500 gift card, so got my $2K. But I had done my homework, took one that was on the floor and ready to go.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM
dschock
Cruiser

Well I'm the new owner of a 2012 Street Glide. I rented one today and put about 400 miles on it to make sure that was it (I knew after the first 20). I told them wasn't going to buy today but they wanted to try to sell me anyway. I low balled them at $2500 below MSRP and was ready to walk a few times. I really didn't think they'd take it but they finally did. Thanks for the great advice. It really helped me hold my ground.

dave

Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 AM
EHLTB66
Tourer

Congrats and Welcome to the Family !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great deal, well done.

Quick Reply: Buying for less than MSRP?