General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
sprinter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna vs. Softail

Hello,
I have a '03 WG I purchased new and love it.
I also purchased a "new to me" '06 Softail Deluxe and love it also.

They are entirely two different motorcycles, the WG is great for in town, throwing around rides, easy to back up, and very nimble. The longest trip I've ridden it is around 450 miles each way.
But I could have kept going, if I had a cool destination. (Rally??)

The softail, (like a Fatboy), is like a big old Buick or Oldsmobile. Very smooth, rides better, vibrates less, and has classic looks. I rode it from MI to Sturgis SD, around 1200 miles each way and it was no problem at all.

So just plan on what you want to do with it. The fat front tire on the Fatboy rides much better when you hit potholes and bridge approaches on most of the countrys hiways! This makes it much better for hiway miles, in my opinion.

So in mho, either will work, but I like the WG for local rides, the ST for the long trips.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Ron.
p.s. Pricing is something that I have no idea about.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by aidansdad
Put about 50 miles on my brothers 2012 Fat Bob (Which he got for considerably less than 16900 otd, denim black, no options). Coming from my '12 RG custom, the bob runs like a raped ape. It just feels like it wants to go fast, and you can throw it into corners. Never ridden a fat boy (even though my youngest brother has an '11 Lo), but don't think it would do what the bob can. But the fat boy does look better IMHO.
Yep. The Fatbob is a blast to ride anywhere anyhow.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Well, personally I don't care for the Fatbob. I consider it a "parts bin" bike, meaning that I think it was just thrown together without any regard for aesthetic appeal. But that's just me. If you like the Dyna, I think the SuperGlide Custom is their best looker.

The Fatboy, however, will have much more resale appeal than the Fatbob. While neither bike would be my first choice, between the 2 I'd hafta say Fatboy. Because looking at my sled is just as enjoyable as riding it.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Haides
Intermediate

I rented both many times before making my choice. IMO the Fatboy is a cruiser, the Fatbob(Dyna) is a performance bike. The Fatboy well... is fat, its bulky. I cant man handle it and throw it around like the Fatbob. The Fatboy feels more like a Cadillac while the Fatbob feels more like the Camaro. The Fatboy is low to the ground and drags in the corners, its good if your short. The Fatbob is much taller and can really lean in the corners. I am tall so i even raised my Fatbob to be even taller with taller shocks and tall risers. Its a personal choic, some people like Camaros, some people like Cadillacs, doesnt mean one is better than the other.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Ive come from a long line of non Harley bikes , Ive owned large jap adventure bikes and Dakar reps a few modern triumphs , scramblers and the odd sports bike along the way,
you really need to test the bikes you like back to back , because these bikes are going to be like nothing you have ever ridden in the past , you need to give them a little while to grow on you, and for you to get used to there limitations in all departments compared to what youve been used to.
they are very heavy bikes that have no real power , bad brakes and dismal handling , saying that though , when you slow everything down to a sensible speed and a relaxed riding style they really come into there own ,
i love the fat boys and i would like one one day , maybe , but every time Ive ridden a softail Ive hated it , they are without out doubt the worse bike Ive ever ridden , scary brakes , no lean angle and a sluggish motor , i know these have been stock bikes from the dealers but they are pretty dire and would cost a fair bit of money just to make them safe ..... sorry guys , but I'm only comparing them to what Ive been used to ... the fat bob in comparison is acceptable..... just ,
it stops well enough , not great but good for a Harley , it leans into corners o.k at slow and medium speeds and the motor is fairly responsive again for such a heavy lump , the forward controls seem a bit funny at first but they soon become second nature and provide a relatively comfortable riding position , i don't want to be negative about softails , because i want to like them really , i love the fatboys and the slims looks , Ive also seen a couple of stripped down heritage models i would love in my garage as well ,
but thats where they would stay most of the time because i own a FatBob

Last edited by MADDOG187; 04-23-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Tilter
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
Well, personally I don't care for the Fatbob. I consider it a "parts bin" bike, meaning that I think it was just thrown together without any regard for aesthetic appeal. But that's just me. If you like the Dyna, I think the SuperGlide Custom is their best looker.

The Fatboy, however, will have much more resale appeal than the Fatbob. While neither bike would be my first choice, between the 2 I'd hafta say Fatboy. Because looking at my sled is just as enjoyable as riding it.
Now I'm biased here as I have a fat bob, but I don't get how you say it's a "parts bin" bike. What other bike has those dual headlights you don't like? How about those rims and chunky tires? Maybe one or two but I'm not sure. Heck isn't the gas tank called a fat bob tank? Unique seat. Pretty different handlebars although there are a couple of others with them I'm sure. Pretty different exhaust if yu leave it stock.

I guess the rear fender is available on a few different bikes but I would say that's the most common main component that isn't pretty unique or signature.

I do agree on the looks of the fxdc though - I had an 08 and loved the clean lines but it could have used dual brakes. Plus it kinda, sorta just looked like a big sportster which the fat bob never does.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Fat Bob before my Glide and I test rode a Fat Boy lo. If handiling is what you seek its the Fat Bob hands down. Put on a set of Metzelers and you'll be tossing the bob around like its on rails. The Fat Boy is a great looking bike but cant handle like a Dyna. Imo the Fat Bob is a great looking bike as well and I like the dual head lights. Well good luck on your choice they are both nice rides.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM
TCooper4653
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigpercentcountry
The Fatboy Lo is one sweet looking bike right off the showroom floor. I've got a 2009 Fatbob and I still get Lo envy every once in a while. However, after scraping my boot heels quite often on the bob, not sure the Lo would be right for me. It does look really nice though...

Same for me, I love the look of the Fat Boy Lo but I still drag heel and peg on a regular basis on my Fat Bob. I'm crazy happy with my Fat Bob.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM
alberry05
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MADDOG187
Ive come from a long line of non Harley bikes , Ive owned large jap adventure bikes and Dakar reps a few modern triumphs , scramblers and the odd sports bike along the way,
you really need to test the bikes you like back to back , because these bikes are going to be like nothing you have ever ridden in the past , you need to give them a little while to grow on you, and for you to get used to there limitations in all departments compared to what youve been used to.
they are very heavy bikes that have no real power , bad brakes and dismal handling , saying that though , when you slow everything down to a sensible speed and a relaxed riding style they really come into there own ,
i love the fat boys and i would like one one day , maybe , but every time Ive ridden a softail Ive hated it , they are without out doubt the worse bike Ive ever ridden , scary brakes , no lean angle and a sluggish motor , i know these have been stock bikes from the dealers but they are pretty dire and would cost a fair bit of money just to make them safe ..... sorry guys , but I'm only comparing them to what Ive been used to ... the fat bob in comparison is acceptable..... just ,
it stops well enough , not great but good for a Harley , it leans into corners o.k at slow and medium speeds and the motor is fairly responsive again for such a heavy lump , the forward controls seem a bit funny at first but they soon become second nature and provide a relatively comfortable riding position , i don't want to be negative about softails , because i want to like them really , i love the fatboys and the slims looks , Ive also seen a couple of stripped down heritage models i would love in my garage as well ,
but thats where they would stay most of the time because i own a FatBob
" i know these have been stock bikes from the dealers but they are pretty dire and would cost a fair bit of money just to make them safe"...really?...just to make them safe?...seems a bit of an overstatement wouldn't you say?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tilter
Now I'm biased here as I have a fat bob, but I don't get how you say it's a "parts bin" bike. What other bike has those dual headlights you don't like? How about those rims and chunky tires? Maybe one or two but I'm not sure. Heck isn't the gas tank called a fat bob tank? Unique seat. Pretty different handlebars although there are a couple of others with them I'm sure. Pretty different exhaust if yu leave it stock.

I guess the rear fender is available on a few different bikes but I would say that's the most common main component that isn't pretty unique or signature.

I do agree on the looks of the fxdc though - I had an 08 and loved the clean lines but it could have used dual brakes. Plus it kinda, sorta just looked like a big sportster which the fat bob never does.

There is some truth to it being a parts bike (same basic frame and engine - with different parts added) but the same can be said about just about any of the HD lines - of it wasn't that way things would cost more than they do already. Personally I like the fact that you can mix and match parts from one model to another.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob?