General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished my Edge/MSF class

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

The main one that I was thinking about was.....they taught to adjust your speed to avoid being in blind spots. Makes sense. BUT on the way home from class that night I was behind a bike on a 4 lane road with stoplights every mile or so. Everyone's speed varied just enough that if you got out of the blind spot of one car, that car usually moved or the car in front of the bike slowed down, putting his right back in someone's blind spot. To me, realistically, if the biker was the one making the speed/position decision that statement would be easy to follow but since it's not, he could just do the best he could to stay safe.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In heavy traffic it is difficult to stay out of a car's blind spot but cars that come up from behind and pass you at least know you're there and thery're more likely to look for you before changing lanes. I try to stay in the same lane, the entire route, in heavy traffic. Once I have a car in front and a car behind me, I feel relatively safe. Any car's that pass on the left or right see me. It also helps to stay in a lane that has no adjacent lane either on the left or right and then you only have to be concerned with one side.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

That sounds like something that works much better on an open road or highway, as bar says, tight traffic makes that pretty hard to do.
Thanks for clarifying.

Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

the old double post thing again!

Last edited by Ragtop; 04-23-2012 at 03:28 PM.
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I was just reading another thread about safely riding the freeways and am learning just this kind of thing! Classes are great but I like real life lessons, too.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats and hope you all the best

Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Countersteering. If you've ever ridden a bicycle than you have countersteered and just don't know it. First, you need to clear you head of the notion that in order to turn right you need to turn left. What should be in your mind is that if you want to go right, then push right and lean right. Want to go left? Push left and lean left. That simple.

The part that confuses people is that they think they actually need to turn the handlebars. Basically what happens is that when you push the handle bars to the right, and lean right, the front tire of the motorcycle 'slightly' turns to the left. You are not actually turning the handlebars that direction...well you are...but your not

Just remember...to go right...push right and lean right. To go left...push left and lean left.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations on the new bike and the class.
Think about the things they taught in class and practice them.
Take your time and keep a watchful eye open for the other guy.

Ride safe and have fun!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grats on scoot and completing the edge class. With in first 6 months I had a deer come out in front of me. Also had a cage make a suddon right turn with no signal and locked the rear wheel. Funny how the stuff in class sticks in your head. Both incidents I got out of due to staying calm and not over reacting.....ride safe and enjoy

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 PM
ManicKernel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cursedspirit
. Funny how the stuff in class sticks in your head. Both incidents I got out of due to staying calm and not over reacting.....ride safe and enjoy
My experience is that I started to forget. Now I practice a LOT. Best freaking thing any rider can do. Yeah, you wonder what all this slow speed **** has to do with riding. You will understand, but only after doing it.

Quick Reply: Just finished my Edge/MSF class