General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished my Edge/MSF class

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
ManicKernel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing. I ride my bike to work almost every day. I have found some days I feel totally in tune with the bike, a complete pleasure to ride no matter what the conditions. Other days it feels like a piece of crap under me and I have to work to drive it. On those days I get really cautious. I also find running in the morning always seems to be better. Maybe the stress of work puts me out in the evening. What I am getting at is riding a bike is 90% the rider, and you have to be into it. Always be in tune with yourself, and if you do not match the bike back off and go easy.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats. I am talking the MSF class again, with my wife this time, to see if she wants to go from passenger to rider. Hopefully I'll learn something new myself.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by whiskyls1
Countersteering. If you've ever ridden a bicycle than you have countersteered and just don't know it. First, you need to clear you head of the notion that in order to turn right you need to turn left. What should be in your mind is that if you want to go right, then push right and lean right. Want to go left? Push left and lean left. That simple.

The part that confuses people is that they think they actually need to turn the handlebars. Basically what happens is that when you push the handle bars to the right, and lean right, the front tire of the motorcycle 'slightly' turns to the left. You are not actually turning the handlebars that direction...well you are...but your not

Just remember...to go right...push right and lean right. To go left...push left and lean left.

Can't emphasize this enough!

Took the coarse, got on an airplane... got off. Bought a bike in the next state. Got on it and proceeded to ride it home, 490 miles. Had never been on a "big bike" in my life. The only reason I'm here today is 'cause the good Lord has something left for me to do. Should have been dead (underneath an 18 wheeler entering the very first on ramp) because I didn't understand the countersteering.

Congrats on your completion, but practice, practice, practice. Soon, you'll not even realize your doing it.

Push into the turn!
Beav

Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the course and the bike. Remember - the things they taught you may save your life one day.

Practice, practice, practice. And then more practice! And remember search the forum before asking what kind of oil you should be using.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats and Good luck with the new bike-== Find a more experienced rider to go with you if you can for the first big jumps- highway, heavy traffic, etc. they will be able to see what you're doing right and wrong and point it out so you stay safe.