General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove melted rubber from chrome exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:42 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,427 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Another job for Never Dull. Takes it right off.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Kerosene, and ultra fine steel wool. It cleans everything safely. Wash the residue off with soapy water.

It's a solvent, so wear rubber gloves.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have experience with anything other than "Bombs Away." I've got 14's, so my heels tend to hit the pipe - even with the pipe guard I put on... Anyway, a little of this stuff takes it right off - no problem. It's expensive, but works very well. Good luck!

https://captainrichardsbest.com/inde...&product_id=33

Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

It doesn't happen a lot, but I don't use anything accept a very fine steel wool pad. I don't rub hard at all and it comes right off without messing up the chrome finish. I know it seems like it would muck it up, but it never has and I've done it for years.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

omg some of these suggestions are so assanine its not funny. just use wd-40 and a microfiber towel. Harley does sell something to take care of this problem I do believe though, or even bug and tar cleaner. but for god sake don't use steel wool of any kind or oven cleaner. you will jack your chrome. you wanna use something oil based jesus people

Last edited by mainboom150; 09-25-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

I had the belt guard come off. It took out the belt and tire at 50 mph. Mineral oil soak and a rag on the belt guard worked like a wonder.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I tried the boot stuff from Harley -- didn't even phase it

I still don't know how this stuff got on my pipes as I do not have any such mess on my 2000 or on my 09 when I had it.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

The Harley boot mark remover actually does work, paint it on, cover it with plastic wrap to keep it wet and leave it on for 24 hours, it softens up the rubber mark and makes it easy to remove.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:23 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I found an old can of liquid Simonize (sp?) Chrome Cleaner in my garage after trying unsuccessfully most things already mentioned unsuccessfully and the old chrome cleaner took it all off with a little rubbing.

I know they make heel guards for foot boards but are they available for foot pegs? I have forward controls on my "48" and my size 13s kiss the front muffler just behind the heat shield.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:02 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mainboom150
omg some of these suggestions are so assanine its not funny. just use wd-40 and a microfiber towel. Harley does sell something to take care of this problem I do believe though, or even bug and tar cleaner. but for god sake don't use steel wool of any kind or oven cleaner. you will jack your chrome. you wanna use something oil based jesus people
4ot steel wool does not scratch chrome. If you've never tried it, give it a shot on something like an old pair of bicycle handlebars. I've taken boot marks off of my pipes with no issues. Most recently I used it on my friends crash bar. He marked it with a permanent marker when putting on his highway pegs, thinking the permanent marker wouldn't stick to the chrome. A couple of light rubs with the 4ot steel wool and it was gone. No swirls, marks, nothin. Just gone.

Quick Reply: How to remove melted rubber from chrome exhaust