Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Talk my wife into riding her own (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/764077-talk-my-wife-into-riding-her-own.html)

leprechaun667 05-07-2012 07:58 PM

Talk my wife into riding her own

Who has had thier wife start riding her own bike? How'd you talk her into it?
My wife has shown some interest in riding her own but only if; I get her an automatic shift.
I've tried talking her into going to take a riding class.
Any input would be great

chrisangie 05-07-2012 08:18 PM

My wife started about a year and half ago. We traded for a new bike and we got a class as part of the deal. She ask to take the class and done very well. Now she rides all the time and loves it as much or more than i do. Best riding buddy i ever had.

piasspj 05-07-2012 08:18 PM

A person either wants to or they don't. I'd never talk anyone in to riding. A person who isn't comfortable with the idea or with riding puts them self in danger and those around them.

My wife wanted to learn, so I taught her. She loves it.

dynhd1 05-07-2012 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
be careful what you wish for ( HaHa) mine has had 3 in the last 10 years, Beull blast , sportster , and a ridley chopper. Fun but double the upkeep plus your always looking in your rear view mirror!

Superfly3176 05-07-2012 08:44 PM

I could barely get my girlfriend to even ride 2up with me. I didn't push it one day she said she wanted to. So don't push it, she will or she won't.

Angelfire36 05-07-2012 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by piasspj (Post 9770158)
A person either wants to or they don't. I'd never talk anyone in to riding. A person who isn't comfortable with the idea or with riding puts them self in danger and those around them.

My wife wanted to learn, so I taught her. She loves it.

:icon_ditto: Learning to ride a motorcycle is not easy. You have to really want it, or it's not going to happen. If she just thinks it "might be nice" to ride, the first time she falls down, that will be it. I love riding my own, but maybe she just enjoys riding on the back, a lot of women do. :icon_confused:

LadyDeluxe 05-07-2012 08:52 PM

Have your wife attend a Womens Garage Party which are offered by most dealerships. They go over such topics as picking up a motorcycle, proper gear, beginning rider course. and answering questions.

IrishGirl329 05-07-2012 08:54 PM

I had to beg my husband into letting me ride alone! He's more of a traditional guy. But he loves me and knew how much I wanted to ride my own. He likes it now; he can lean back and doesn't have to deal with me fidgeting.

I recommend the course...see if she likes it.

sjef 05-07-2012 09:07 PM

My wife just took the MSF course this past weekend, passed and got her license. She did this on her own, didn't have to talk her into it. Going to look at a 883 Sporty for her next weekend. Should be fun, she's been riding with me for years and loves it.

MrMojo 05-07-2012 09:13 PM

My wife is taking the MSF class in a couple weeks. I'm taking it with her to support her and to see if I have any bad habits to work out. So, maybe offer to take the class with her.