General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider and MSF Course.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:00 AM
ghawthorn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider and MSF Course.

Just completed the basic MSF course and man, what a great class! Extremely fun and packed full of great stuff. Also an amazing confidence booster too. To anyone that is new to riding and wary of taking bike out - this course will prepare you! As soon as I got out of the class, I went to DMV and got MC license and went home to do TCLOCS and ride. I chose a route from my house that was really light in traffic and had no problems at all. Obviously, there is no traffic to contend with, but all situations are covered in the class- emergency stops, swerves, figure eights, cornering, weaving. Asa side note, I had my bike for 3 weeks before I was able to ride it. I would go into the garage and stare at it and sit on it until the day came on Friday when I was able to ride it. Take this class! Great, great preparation. G

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, I agree the MSF course is good. I took mine a few years back and at the end of class you took you test. Everyone in the class passed. Even people who had never riden a bike before the class.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 AM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the bike in the garage for about two weeks before I was legal to ride. Glad I waited until I finished the MSF course to take her out, I bought a 2011 Ultra Classic for my first bike and cannot imagine how things would have went had I not obtained a bit of instruction beforehand.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to motorcycling. Glad you took the course. Sounds like you really enjoy riding. You need to practice riding and survival skills without getting too over confident. Practice, practice, practice. I don't wish to appear mean or arrogant but most likely your not that good at riding yet.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you enjoy the ride. Welcome to a whole new world.
But don't get over confident!!!! I never forget my instructors words when I paseed my test.
"You think you're a good driver now, don't you? Well you have your licence because the examiner found that you are just not dangerous enough to keep you off the road"
32 years later I'm still learning.
Be carefull, stay safe. In 25 years time I want to be able to remind you of your first scoot!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Never had a motorcycle safety course myself. I always figured racing dirt bikes as a kid and drag bikes as a young adult was all the training I needed. But I learn something I didn't know everyday, (mostly about people and their stupid cell phones) and I'm not kidding a bit. That said, I do plan on taking a motorcycle safety class with my wife.
Another course that gave me a lot to think about was the Smith System course. I have had a literal ton of defensive driving courses throughout my trucking career and the Smith System helped me more as a biker than a trucker.
If you can find one, take it, you won't be sorry.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:54 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Good news, congrats and welcome to the club. Just always drive defensively, maintain situational awareness and try to anticipate things. Pilots are trained to think and fly like this and driving a motorcycle isn't a lot different in that respect.

Keep the greasy side down as they say.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 PM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode for 10 years before I got the class M on my license. Even though I rode a lot I still liked the class as a formal "this is what you should know" basics class. I enjoyed it so much that I still want to take some advanced courses with my dad. keep safety in mind as you ride and you will soon enough be an old rider.
unless your state is different, I believe it is called class M, not MC..... I could be wrong. MC stands for Motorcycle Club, as in Hells Angels, Bandidos, etc..... which I highly recommend you jump right into one of those clubs now that you are spinning two wheels.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 PM
ghawthorn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Welcome to motorcycling. Glad you took the course. Sounds like you really enjoy riding. You need to practice riding and survival skills without getting too over confident. Practice, practice, practice. I don't wish to appear mean or arrogant but most likely your not that good at riding yet.
You are absolutely right. I took bike out on a quiet road, but I am off to a deserted parking lot to practice e-stops, tight turns etc.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM
PlotMH
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good start on learning to ride correctly. Get some miles under your belt this year.

During your long off season you can read a couple books by a guy named David L. Hough on Proficient Motorcycling and get a copy of the Ride Like a Pro DVD set. Then to start next season, take the Experienced Rider Course.

Quick Reply: New rider and MSF Course.