General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Called a driver out the other day

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 AM
XjldX
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Called a driver out the other day

The other day I was taking a junction/exit off I-5 and I got this weird "gut" feeling that I needed to look to my left. I didn't think too much of it, but I slowed down a bit and looked. Sure enough, from behind and to my left comes a pickup truck, flying towards me across three lanes and cuts into my exit lane. I tap the brakes and swerve to the next lane to give myself enough room to avoid getting in a bad spot. The guy in the truck is going about 60 and he misses the divider for the exit by about 10 feet in front and misses plowing me down by about 5-10 feet to his rear.
So, after I thank God that I was still on two wheels, I decide it's a "good idea" to let this guy know that he almost killed me. I followed him to his destination and as I pull up next to his parked truck, he has no clue what I could want when I smile and politely ask him to roll down his window. He's about 17 years old and pretty confused at this point. I said, "First off, I'm sorry if I scared you by following you here, I mean no harm. I just wanted to let you know that when you flew off the freeway back there, you almost killed me. I'm not joking when I tell you that you were only about five feet from literally ending my life. Did you know that?" He said, "...no..." So I asked, "Did you even see me on the exit to your right?" "...no..." he answered. Then I told him, "I am not exaggerating, if I had not hit my brakes, you would have killed a person today, I have no doubt in my mind that I would not have survived the accident you would have caused by not paying attention and swerving across several lanes. Please, please in the future just be more careful and know that you are responsible for the lives of those around you when you're behind the wheel, and please keep an eye out for motorcycles, we're not as well protected as drivers in cars." I don't know if he was more shocked to hear that he almost killed me or that I was being so nice about it. Either way I hope I made a difference. I have never felt the need to follow someone like this and I told myself over and over as I did, "Don't let this become road rage. Stay calm." In the end I'm glad I talked to him, but I don't know if I'd ever do it again.

So now I thank God for not getting mowed over by some kid in a truck and also that the kid in that truck wasn't some gang banger that shot me for following him.

Any of you have similar stories?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had a few near misses caused by cars when i was on a bike , and Ive never been as calm about it as you were , i think you may have made a better impression than i did , at least your guy knew what he had done after you spoke to him , i hope he listened and learnt something

Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Motorist just don't see you. I had two close calls last week when I'm already around these guys before they could get me. One guy stops in the middle of the intersection. A little late.
No stop at the stop sign and bike vrs SUV is not good.
One guy peeling out of his driveway. Both times I see them and get around them.
Both had DUH! on their faces.
You have to watch everyone.
I got off my bike last year to ask an old man what his problem was after trying to knock me off the road and here is this old man with a disabled tag on his rear view telling me he isn't going to take it anymore.
Some people are just plain nuts!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 AM
J.Sizer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I love the way you handle that.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Always ride like you're invisible & chasing someone down is good way to get shot now-a-days. Glad your situation panned-out OK, but wouldn't make it a habit.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by XjldX
The other day I was taking a junction/exit off I-5 and I got this weird "gut" feeling that I needed to look to my left. I didn't think too much of it, but I slowed down a bit and looked. Sure enough, from behind and to my left comes a pickup truck, flying towards me across three lanes and cuts into my exit lane. I tap the brakes and swerve to the next lane to give myself enough room to avoid getting in a bad spot. The guy in the truck is going about 60 and he misses the divider for the exit by about 10 feet in front and misses plowing me down by about 5-10 feet to his rear.
So, after I thank God that I was still on two wheels, I decide it's a "good idea" to let this guy know that he almost killed me. I followed him to his destination and as I pull up next to his parked truck, he has no clue what I could want when I smile and politely ask him to roll down his window. He's about 17 years old and pretty confused at this point. I said, "First off, I'm sorry if I scared you by following you here, I mean no harm. I just wanted to let you know that when you flew off the freeway back there, you almost killed me. I'm not joking when I tell you that you were only about five feet from literally ending my life. Did you know that?" He said, "...no..." So I asked, "Did you even see me on the exit to your right?" "...no..." he answered. Then I told him, "I am not exaggerating, if I had not hit my brakes, you would have killed a person today, I have no doubt in my mind that I would not have survived the accident you would have caused by not paying attention and swerving across several lanes. Please, please in the future just be more careful and know that you are responsible for the lives of those around you when you're behind the wheel, and please keep an eye out for motorcycles, we're not as well protected as drivers in cars." I don't know if he was more shocked to hear that he almost killed me or that I was being so nice about it. Either way I hope I made a difference. I have never felt the need to follow someone like this and I told myself over and over as I did, "Don't let this become road rage. Stay calm." In the end I'm glad I talked to him, but I don't know if I'd ever do it again.

So now I thank God for not getting mowed over by some kid in a truck and also that the kid in that truck wasn't some gang banger that shot me for following him.

Any of you have similar stories?
I'm not sure I would have been as calm but the older I get the more I learn about the Bees/Honey/Vinegar anecdote. Hopefully what you said made an impact in a positive manner.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM
pearsom
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

XjldX
That's a story with a good ending. I think you did the right thing for sure, good on you. I tell everyone I ride with, "Ride like everyone out there is trying to kill you."
Keeps you sharp.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Splandman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are much more level headed than I am when it comes to morons driving.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you're ok. That was close. My hat's off to you sir for handling it the way you did.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

he could have shot you or bailed out of the pick-up with a baseball bat and started beating on you. next time, call the police and file a complaint about reckless driving.

Quick Reply: Called a driver out the other day