General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide vs Softtail what's the true story?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Bullridr
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Glide vs Softtail what's the true story?

Looking for honest comparisons between wide glide and softtail as far as comfort around town vs longer trips and overall handling. I really like the looks of the wide glide and it really "FITS" when I sit on it, but my local dealers keep pushing me towards a softtail, either a softtail slim or a fat boy. Any help?
oh yeah, the only complaint I have with the wide glide is that the rear brake pedal seems uncomfortable to me. It is to short, my foot feels like it is going to slip off the pedal and my knee hits the air cleaner.

Last edited by Bullridr; 05-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I've got a Softail and I'm more than happy with it, they'll be plenty of opinions on here which is the best but just go with what feels right for you after you test ride both models, a dealer will push you towards a Softail as It cost more and makes more money for him. As for the brake pedal and air cleaner you can change both on the Dyna after you've bought it should you feel the need to.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
I've got a Softail and I'm more than happy with it, they'll be plenty of opinions on here which is the best but just go with what feels right for you after you test ride both models, a dealer will push you towards a Softail as It cost more and makes more money for him. As for the brake pedal and air cleaner you can change both on the Dyna after you've bought it should you feel the need to.
+1 Well said.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the WG.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with the test riding both of them. One of them will probably pick you.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullridr
my local dealers keep pushing me towards a softtail
Find a new dealer. I hate pushy people. I had a salesman trying to talk me out of my road king when I went to buy it, he tried hard to get me on a softail.

The kicker, for me, was that the bike I wanted was sitting on the floor, used, already accessorized to my liking, with 151 miles on it. It basically turned into me saying 'I want that bike, or I'm leaving', then he went and drew up the paperwork.

When I walk into a dealership, I want to be asked if I need help. If I ask questions, answer them. If I say I want XXX bike, sell it to me. If I say I'm just looking, leave me alone. Is that too much to ask?

I've walked out plenty of times over stuff like that, sometimes with rather large amounts of money in my pocket. The best one so far, for me, was when I wanted a Hayabusa. Walked in the dealer with a checkbook, prepared to pay cash. The guy tried to talk me into a GSX-R1000, saying I wouldn't like the Hayabusa because of how big it was. I left, went to the next dealer, and bought a ZX-14. It turned out after switching off with a friend I like the Ninja better anyways.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

I have ridden both. I rode two different Fat Boys. The longest ride i have had on a softail was 130 miles and it was nice.

I have ridden over 300 miles on a wideglide. There is no problem with comfort on long rides on the wideglide.

Here are the major differences I found.

1: foot-boards. If you like foot boards the softails come with them stock. I personally do not like them, but that is just an opinion.

2. lean. The wideglide has a better lean angel and can be thrown into corners easier. again my opinion.

3. bars. (easily changed). I find the bar setup on the stck wideglide much more than the softail.

4. riding position. The riding position on the softail for me took a little more time getting used to. I felt like i was sitting on the bike not 'in' the bike.

I have a friend who just recently switched from a softtail to a wideglide and he loves the wideglide and likes it more than the softtail.

again, try them both,

good luck.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide_Open
I agree with the test riding both of them. One of them will probably pick you.
Yep we're not you and our tastes aren't the same as yours. You have to make up your own mind. If you want my personal opinion, I'd rather have a Softail Slim or Fat Boy. By the way, you can change the brake pad and lever. That's one nice thing about Harleys. They make a dozen replacement parts for about every item on the bike for every size rider.

Last edited by barjbar; 05-24-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
mwswarrior
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a dealer nearby with "demo-days" going on. You can try a couple different models and see what grabs you.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The WG engine and the frame layout make it more fun on twisties.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wide Glide vs Softtail what's the true story?