Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Suicide clutch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/770800-suicide-clutch.html)

chicanagirl 05-26-2012 12:13 PM

Suicide clutch

I know old Indians, and i think old HDs to, have the suicide clutch. I asked an old timer why its called that, he says cause if you use it wrong it will flip you over backwards. At highway speeds that equals death. That makes me afraid to ride it and i've been riding for a while. Anyone ever rode an oldie with the suicide clutch?

firefighter616 05-26-2012 12:57 PM

Really they were called that was because (the I know betters will be in shortly) you had to shift with one hand, clutch and release with a foot and break and throttle with the other hand.and foot... on a hill it was a PITA..... definitely a hand/eye/foot/hand coordination thing..... hence suicide shift.

I will be proven wrong in a matter of hours, TIA

Stash905 05-26-2012 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by chicanagirl (Post 9852463)
I know old Indians, and i think old HDs to, have the suicide clutch. I asked an old timer why its called that, he says cause if you use it wrong it will flip you over backwards. At highway speeds that equals death. That makes me afraid to ride it and i've been riding for a while. Anyone ever rode an oldie with the suicide clutch?

The old timer is full of shit. Flip you over bacwards?

foulplay 05-26-2012 01:11 PM

Suicide clutch got the name because if a rider couldn't find neutral and he lost balance his foot would come off the clutch causing his scooter to jump into traffic.

JohnFlorida 05-26-2012 01:43 PM

flip over backwards ? thats funny . Maybe he's thinking about a "suicide kick start"

Stiggy 05-26-2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JohnFlorida (Post 9852742)
flip over backwards ? thats funny . Maybe he's thinking about a "suicide kick start"

I had one of those! ( w/a magneto.)

Gimpy

Malum 05-26-2012 03:47 PM

Left foot clutch. Left hand on jockey shift. Right foot on brake. Right hand on throttle to keep the damn thing running and to steer.
Better find neutral fast coming to a stop at a signal/intersection or out you went into traffic.
Also factor in usually 1 or more false neutrals to keep you on your toes.

pococj 05-26-2012 03:54 PM

The old bikes had "rocker" clutches, not suicide clutches. The clutch pedal stayed where you put it, if the tension was set correctly.

Now, a rocker clutch could become a suicide if the tension was too loose. But even then it simply mimics a car clutch - pedal down & you're disengaged; pedal up & you're engaged.

oct1949 05-26-2012 04:24 PM

Nope,, just the thought of having one Scarrred me...

Ragnar Danneskjöld 05-26-2012 04:51 PM

I like the idea, but starting on a hill with one terrifies me.