General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At Military Funeral, It May Take Harleys to Keep Hatred At Bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
fatboy4ever
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At Military Funeral, It May Take Harleys to Keep Hatred At Bay

[size=2]
A nice littlearticle from the Hartford Courant (Connecticut) . .. for those of you that are not PGR members there is always room for more!

--------------------
At Military Funerals, It May Take Harleys To Keep Hatred At Bay
--------------------
Susan Campbell
January 7, 2007

These are the times that try patriots' souls.

What do you do when people picket military funerals with signs that say "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "Thank God for IEDs"?

Freedom of speech is a sticky wicket, yes?

For more than a year, Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan. - the church of Fred Phelps, committed hater - has picketed military funerals around the country because, says the group's literature, America is too tolerant of homosexuality. Earlier, Westboro confined its activities to the funerals of people who died from AIDS, but the Westboro tumor has broken loose, and it's spreading.

In December, eight Westboro members (coincidentally, all of them Phelps family members) were at the East Lyme memorial service of Capt. Jason R. Hamill, who was killed in Baghdad by a roadside bomb. Later that month, they had planned to come to Norwich for the funeral of Staff Sgt. Joseph E. Phaneuf II, who was killed in Afghanistan by a roadside bomb.

They didn't show. According to Shirley L. Phelps-Roper, Westboro spokeswoman and daughter of Fred, the no-show was because there are "too many dead soldiers and not enough time." And besides, said Phelps-Roper, an attorney, the picketers "all have families. We all work."

In fact, Westboro's website listed two other funerals members intended to picket that December day, including that of Kelly James, one of the climbers who died on Mount Hood. Westboro was also organizing a trip to Washington to picket former President Gerald Ford's funeral and the swearing-in of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Be prepared to see Westboro members at any socially significant event. And prepare to be disturbed. They chant vulgarities. They sing vulgar parodies to the tune of patriotic songs. They hoist signs that show stick figures having **** sex. They push every button imaginable because, they say, the Bible teaches hate, and Jesus came only to save the believers.

Ah, well, with the proper motivation, you can twist religious text into any shape you want. If Phelps is a Baptist, then I am the Queen of May, and welcome to my throne. Instead, Westboro members have taken the writings of the unwaveringly literalistic John Calvin and disappeared around the bend with them. We who have escaped Calvin's desiccated clutches like to call him "Chuckles."

In May, the president signed a law that prevents protests within 300 feet of the entrance to a national cemetery, like the cemetery where Hamill was buried in Texas, where he'd made a home with his wife. But legislation aimed at small groups usually doesn't stand up in court. Think Terri Schiavo.

[size=3]So starting 11/2 years ago in Phelps' home state, a group called the Patriot Guard Riders began showing up at military funerals. Motorcyclists who don't want anyone hurt by Westboro's actions began coming at the invitation of families to act as human shields. At Hamill's service, they arrived in a cloud of black leather and jackets covered with patches. They parked their bikes and stood facing Westboro's members, who taunted them. Some are veterans, all are volunteers, and while not every Rider believes in this war, all believe a milit

Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: At Military Funeral, It May Take Harleys to Keep Hatred At Bay

Fortunatly, those dirtbags pretty much stay out of Colorado.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:26 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Jesus came only to save the believers. But just cause you believe, don't mean you'll be saved. People that believe but do not follow are worse off than non-believers. This Fred Phelps will likely be smoking turds in h*ll.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just when you think you've seen the lowest of the scum, vermin like this come along. [:'(]

Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Would be nice if he and his followers decided to have a Kool-Aid party.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

has anyone kisked the sh^& out of them yet. I BELIEVE they need a good old beating.. or ten. wverytime they show up at one of the funerals. The soldier i am sure would be proud.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:34 AM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

has anyone kisked the sh^& out of them yet. I BELIEVE they need a good old beating.. or ten. wverytime they show up at one of the funerals. The soldier i am sure would be proud.
As a PGR member we can't do that, but boy I sure would love to. The 1st amendment guarentees your right to free speech, but it doesn't protect you from getting a lump on your head when you exercise it like an idiot.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Correct me if I'm misquoting here. I think it was Nathan Hale that said, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it."

As a vet, I have fought for the right for those idiots to say what they do. That doesn't mean they have a right to be heard though, and as a Patriot Guard member, I will do my best to make sure that they do not dishonor our servicemen and women's funerals.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Hiram
Road Captain

I notice that they don't go and spew their vile diatribe on the courthouse steps.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:41 AM
Highrider
Stage II

Sometimes, I think we are giving people such as in this group way too much lattitude and let them use the constitution to batter people. I believe the word "Traitor" needs to be resurrected and attonement must be demanded. Ignorance is a fact of life anymore in America, but I for one am getting pretty tired of it.
I mean whose side are they on anyway?