General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it too hot to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question When is it too hot to ride?

Back in the winter I recall asking around about how cold was too cold to ride.

Well, now it's Hades-hot here hitting near 100' today and I think I'm gonna let the bike bake in the garage until it cools off 10-15 degrees.

So today my question is how HOT does it have to be outside for you to hang up the boots and ride another day? Even for the warm-weather riders on the board here, there must be some upper threshhold for you on the thermometer.

[For the folks who have never travelled outside of Phoenix, 100' in Jersey is not a 'dry heat.' It's a miserable humid buggy oppressive heat that makes me pray for death when I'm stuck at a long red light in the sun. For the folks in Carolina... well you know what I mean.]

For the record, as if anyone cared about my $0.02 but I'll share anyway cuz I'm the OP... I'll ride down in the 20's in winter properly geared up, but in the summer when we get near 90 around here I've reached my personal comfort limit. I might lose the ATGATT in summertime enought to shed my jacket, but long pants and boots and helmet/gloves are a daily necessity. I won't do the shorts n' flip-flops riding thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont ride in tripple digits in Texas you dont ride in the summer. I find long sleeves actually help on a trip. As I tell those asking about the heat; my air conditioning works just fine, it's the sun roof that's broken. Keep plenty of water handy and aclimate.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too hot? Too cold? Too wet? Too dry?
C'mon... really?

If I plan to ride, I ride. Period.

I have traveled outside of the desert quite frequently. Same rules apply.

Anyone who thinks that a dry heat isn't hot has never lived in a climate of relatively low humidity. Whenever I have visitors from back east in the summertime they always start out saying that it's much more comfortable without all the humidity. After a few days it's hard to get them out of the air conditioning.

Anything over 110º is hot, humidity or no... quite uncomfortable sitting in traffic.

Long sleeved shirts made with a wicking fabric helps, as does a cool vest - but only when you're moving. So you keep moving.
But I would still much rather ride than park the scoot.

Today will be cooler than yesterday - only 108º and around 20% RH. Guess what, I'll be riding today, like I do just about every day.

Last edited by pargenz; 06-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hottest I have ever been caught in is 112 in the shade. It wasn't too hot but it definitely would have been stupid to ride not prepared for it. I will not hang up my boots over temperature but I will plan for it. Protection from the sun. I actually freeze quart bottles of water and let them thaw in the saddle bags. Long sleeve light fabric white shirt. No stop and go traffic for any length of time. Stops to rehydrate in a air conditioned building. Usual safety things. Cell phone, money, and a flight plan filed with someone if not riding in a group.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hydration is the key... and sunscreen.

In my 3+ decades in the desert the hottest day I recall was 124º. Don't remember the humidity...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Caseyrey
Novice

Like everyone else said as long as your prepared for it it's no big deal. I ride to work and it can be 110+ but I work outside so I'm used to it.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
kzoo
Road Master

I ride here into the 20's in the spring, and have never hit an upper limit. Heat index was over 100 yesterday, would have to be a lot hotter for me to consider not riding.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM
nightroddersp
Cruiser

i think for me, it is as hot as the bike can handle... i am a engineer down in the bowels of a ship... average in the summer of 100 to 120 with like 120% humidity. i have become used to the heat...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nightroddersp
i think for me, it is as hot as the bike can handle... i am a engineer down in the bowels of a ship... average in the summer of 100 to 120 with like 120% humidity. i have become used to the heat...
I didn't take into consideration the fact that some folks are physically acclimated to heat. After an 8-hour work shift in that, I guess riding in summer doesn't really amount to much.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser
Exclamation

Originally Posted by pargenz
Too hot? Too cold? Too wet? Too dry?
C'mon... really?
So you're saying that there is no summertime temperature extreme that you're not 'tuff enuff' for?

If you felt like riding in Iran's Lut desert (can reach 159 degrees F), then it's all good for you? Come on now. You can admit there is an "upper register" at which point you would hang up the keys and NOT go out riding... ?

Quick Reply: When is it too hot to ride?