General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lone Star Rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lone Star Rally

I know its a little early, but who here plans on going to Lone Star Rally this year?
Just booked our room at Moody Gardens. Should have booked months ago as this was not our first choice. Most of the good hotels are full already for that weekend or over priced and 3 day minimum stay required!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Seabee Son
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going, enjoy people watching, and see what vendors are there. I only live about a 30 minute ride away, no need for hotel for me. Moody Gardens is a decent hotel, convenient, rainy day things to do there at the hotel, but overpriced in my opinion. Something like $300 a night, I believe. Word of advice, make friends with the valet's, slip a few small greenbacks in their pockets each day to park in the garage under the table. Do not park your scooter in the open lot. Lots of strays combing the lot up to no good. I have even heard of bikes with missing chrome parts that were left overnight, i.e.- mirrors, bags, quick detach anything!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Seabee Son
I will be going, enjoy people watching, and see what vendors are there. I only live about a 30 minute ride away, no need for hotel for me. Moody Gardens is a decent hotel, convenient, rainy day things to do there at the hotel, but overpriced in my opinion. Something like $300 a night, I believe. Word of advice, make friends with the valet's, slip a few small greenbacks in their pockets each day to park in the garage under the table. Do not park your scooter in the open lot. Lots of strays combing the lot up to no good. I have even heard of bikes with missing chrome parts that were left overnight, i.e.- mirrors, bags, quick detach anything!
We stayed at Moody last 2 years. I have never had a problem there. Always seem to find a spot in the front entrance circle drive most of the time.
We payed $189 a night last year and this year is $209 a night for a balcony room. We wanted to stay at the Treemont on the strand but you need a 3 night minimum @ $300 a night. So for a $500 savings, I sure don't mind staying @ Moody Gardens again!

I have been searching all day and I do not see who the concert headliners are yet for this year, any idea?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Still early, but I'm sure we'll be there. My sister lives just up the freeway in League City. With a free place to stay, it's a no brainer.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,670 Posts

FLAME SUIT ON!

Where is this rally taking place?

And then I see. About 30min from Houston.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Romark
Road Master

Galveston

Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I'll be there,have always had a good time in Galveston.Went last year just for the day,several yrs.back me & the now 'ex' stayed at a nice place with a guarded drive in garage right on the seawall but can't remember the name of it.I'd like to stay there again.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just not into the rally thing. But, Galveston is really cool when there's not a bunch of drunk *** bikers and fugly women hangin around.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Default Lone Star Rally

Still a few months off. I try to go down on Saturday. Our son lives close by so we stay there. Great Rally!

The Strand is Wild!

Click on Slide Show: http://www.harleybassimages.com/p1030823759

Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH
Just not into the rally thing. But, Galveston is really cool when there's not a bunch of drunk *** bikers and fugly women hangin around.
I have been to most of the Rally's around Texas. And the Lone Star Rally is probably the most "tame" rally of them all. I think it is due to the Rally being basically held in the center of Galveston on the Strand.
It usually doesn't start getting crazy until after sunset and even then it's pretty tame compared to ROT or some of the others.
We usually go for the weekend, visit vendors during the daylight hours, go ride around G-Town, lunch, dinner, maybe a concert then go see the festivities after dark on the strand.
There is a ton of stuff to do and see. The best part of it all for me is being totally surrounded by everything motorcycle. And I don't have to go home for a few days. Last year there were almost 500,000 bikes on the Island for Lone Star Rally.
Everywhere you ride and everything you do, you are doing it with other people just like you, there are bikes everywhere.
And most of the Island businesses are in "Biker" mode. Even upscale restaurants are filled with leather clad bikers where normally you would see only suite and ties. And they are happy to serve them.
It really is the best Rally I have ever been to. May not be the funnest Rally (ROT can be pretty damn entertaining) but definitely the best over all because of where it is.

Rally's like ROT don't have the aura that LSR has. ROT is held in a Huge city (Austin) and are pretty much only welcome with open arms in the area right around the heart of the rally and on 6th street.
Galveston is totally different. The entire city becomes "The Rally" and the whole Island is in on the festivities.

Quick Reply: Lone Star Rally