General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley Canada vs harley USA dispute

Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Greenonions
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry harley Canada vs harley USA dispute

Does any one knows what is going on with buying parts from USA? Recently, I did inquire about parts from a dealer in the US that offered the item at a good price, about half from Canada. Soon after, I received a mail from that store satting that "Harley USA in not allowing dealership to sell outside the US". Furthermore, they also wrote that "Harley USA will not sell parts to anyone that is entending to sell outside the USA" (third party dealer). I can understand that we must encourage local dealers, but when it comes to money, like everyone we must earn the d$%& thing. So, I'm in for deals, no matter where they are from. I would not buy from England cause of the exchange, but if the price is good whynot and why Harley USA is making a fuss about it? Are all the parts from the US anyway?

Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Deeley bought the Queen Mary and forcing us Canadians to help pay for it.
It was a issue a while back when Harley Davidson kiboshed out of USA sales. I dunno the real reason but I assume it had something to do with deeley loosing all kinds of money from us Canadians buying US parts and having them shipped over the border, in turn they not getting their enormous cut like the gougers Deeley is.
I'm fortunate to live only a few minutes up from the border and I give my money to my Indy long before I'll travel to the dealer just to get gouged.
I feel kinda sorry for the Canadian dealers who know whats going on and can't do a damn thing about it other than hear us bitch.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

American dealers CANNOT ship parts to Canada. We have to get our parts from a Canadian dealer after Deeley makes his percentage.
I buy most of my genuine h-d parts used from American members,parts are usually in fantastic shape and costs me less than half then trying to buy them here.
Or I buy S&S parts and don't have any issues at all.
American dealers can face stiff penalties from h-d for shipping to Canada. Deeley wants their cut,and gets it everytime we buy from a Canadian dealer. So I refuse to buy from any Canadian dealers. Deeley doesn't make a dime off me

Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Make a friend in US, have them send parts to you, problem fixed.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:32 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

There has been much chatter about this topic in the last couple years with Mother HD and third party sales via the internet.
Type in Harley Davidson Third Party Sales in google and you will find loads of information on how it played out.
I have tried several times to buy items from dealerships via phone orders, but because I am in the system as a Canadian they can not or will not sell to me.
I even want to send items as gifts to friends in the USA and they will not process the order, thats how silly the protectionism is with Mother HD.
Rob

Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i Had the dealer i bought from price me out a bunch of parts. Total came to 2340$. I asked if i get my 10%, since i just bought another new bike off them. Answer was no. Told em to just keep it,....went home and started calling a few dealers in the USA. Ended up buying the same stuff, but instead of paying 2340$, it cost me 1500$
WOW... saved 840 bucks..had it shipped for free to my in-laws and when the wife and i went to visit them 3 weeks later, brought it all home.
Screw Deeley twice and screw the dealer for not wanting to give me 10%.
Matter of fact, i told him, that that's how i will be buying everything from here on in, unless it's a emergency. Even then i might just hop across the border and buy from a Michigan dealer.
Deeley...hear this.....Keep your crap, I am buying in the USA. One way or another

Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
There has been much chatter about this topic in the last couple years with Mother HD and third party sales via the internet.
Type in Harley Davidson Third Party Sales in google and you will find loads of information on how it played out.
I have tried several times to buy items from dealerships via phone orders, but because I am in the system as a Canadian they can not or will not sell to me.
I even want to send items as gifts to friends in the USA and they will not process the order, thats how silly the protectionism is with Mother HD.
Rob
That's how i buy my stuff. Over the phone. As long as you have a US adress, they shouldn't have a problem. You are after all a American, making the call from Canada, since that is where you're at at the moment, right???
If i couldn't have, I would just have somebody in the US make the call for me.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

For those, that don't have anybody in the US. There are parcel service locations that you can have your parcel shipped to (in the US)
Simply pick the closest one to you, call them and set up a account (free).
Give them a heads up when a parcel is on the way to them. They will either e-mail or call you when it has arrived. Then go get it and pay them $5. (more for huge parcels).
Google parcel pickup in whatever state is most convenient for you.

Here are 2 i have used in port huron in the past.
http://www.usparcelpickup.com/
http://canamparcel.com/

Haven't used these two
Niagara Falls, NY
http://www.usaddressinc.com/
http://www.bluewatershippingdepot.com/

If you live to far from a border, a friend might pick it up for you.

Last edited by Pete6114; 07-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
cookieonscooter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deeley is awfull

Here is my experience with Deeley Canada.
I found parts a lot cheaper in the USA, same stuff just a border in between us and a greedy group of folks under the Deeley umbrella grabbing our Canadian cash.
I wrote Deeley Canada a letter regarding this exact problem a few years ago and more recently when our dollar was higher than the US buck.
Their answer to me was simply, due to my location and relative closeness to the US border I am unique and one of only a few Canadians that are in this position to cross the border at will and be able to take advantage of the US prices.
Pretty sad, to see all the rest of Canadians paying for Deeley's exec's in Toronto and Vancouver reaping all the extra profit from those of us that are loyal to H-D.
I have committed to buying all and servicing my bikes in the US, Bellingham has a great dealer, does awesome work, and treats us like customers, not crap, such as most Canadian dealers.
God help you if you break down in Canada man, it will be a week before they get your ride in their shop.
What they are forgetting is:
"The money we spend on our bikes is called disposable income and not a necessity"
They have forgotten that bit.
Cheers