General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gave me the jumpin' jitters!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Trusten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gave me the jumpin' jitters!

Well, it finally happened. I saw my first big wreck while riding my bike. I live in the Dallas area, and there is a ton of traffic pretty much everywhere, all the time. And, I've seen a lot of wrecks while driving my truck. Heck, even saw some wicked ones in the Army years ago, crazy what an M1A1 will do to a little Citrogen, but that is another story.

Somehow, however, though I've heard a few screeches of locked brakes, and seen near misses, I have managed to not have actually seen a wreck while riding my Sportster around town.

I gotta tell ya, it sure feels different seeing a bad wreck when you're on your bike.

Some idiot, probably texting, driving a huge F250 or 350, pulling a huge trailer full of construction debris, locked his tires, counldn't stop the weight, and rammed up the back of some little sedan. Bent it like a tin can, smashed it, and it all happened about five feet from me. I was sitting in the left turn lane at an intersection, just waiting on the light while traffic whizzed along to either side of me. I was looking in my mirrors at the time, checking to make sure the car coming up behind me in the turn lane actually saw me, ready to scoot if he didn't when I heard the locked up tires. It only took a nano-second to figure out the truck in the opposite lane wasn't going to stop in time, and the first thing that went through my head was Cr&p, he might turn my way to avoid hitting the car in front of him!"
Needless to say, I checked over my right shoulder, saw the lanbe was clear, popped clutch and shot out of there like my a$$ was on fire and my ***** catchin'.
I saw him smash the car as I whizzed by. I guess traffic going the other way had backed up, and the truck wasn't paying attention, couldn't stop, and whammo.
I was a little nervous riding the You just never know, especially in traffic, where danger is going to come from. You can never be too aware.

I guess what I really want to get across is this guys and gals. Be fricken careful out there! I try to keep an eye out, maintain proper distances, watch for idiots opening doors, cutting lanes without signaling, etc. My old MSF instructor taught me too look at car's wheel position at intersections, etc., and I try to do that as well. I especially remember to ride like I am invisible to cages, cause, hell, we are!
But, like all of you too, sometimes you get comfortable, or take a peek at the scenery, whatever. That's cool. Gotta live, part of the ride. But brothers and sisters, be watchful. Be careful out there. All of us could use that reminder. I got mine, thought I should share. Gotta look out for each other.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 AM
CountryBoyBob
Intermediate

There was a fatal crash near my house a few years ago on a two lane road where a distracted driver did not see a car that was stopped and waiting for traffic to clear before it could make a left hand turn. The distracted driver swerved to the left to avoid rear ending the stopped car and went into oncoming traffic.

My old MSF instructor taught me too look at car's wheel position at intersections, etc.
I hate it when a car is going to make a left hand turn and turn their wheels before they actually start moving. If they get rear ended, they can go straight into on coming traffic.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:38 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I've got a brother that lives off of I35E just North of Dallas,I don't even like driving my truck through that crap.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM
hickory67
Account Retired

I've been riding in the DC area for 10 years now and have had more than my share of close calls. I-95 is bad enough, but I used to take I-395 which goes through town and the drivers there are absolutely insane. Because they only check mirrors and not blind spots they assume there are traffic gaps and run you into adjacent lanes, which is why I stay to the far left or right next to the shoulder. Seen a few accidents in front of me and yes, it is nerve wracking as you never know what others are going to do in their panic to avoid the crash. It's like playing "Frogger" out there.

Of course, that's when traffic is moving. Other times it's a parking lot. Take the shoulder and people turn into d*cks - had an off-duty firefighter cut me off and I had to swerve back into the lane behind him to avoid a collision. He was fortunate to only get an ear full.

Last edited by hickory67; 08-05-2012 at 08:02 AM.