General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy. Tall guy. New ride needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:54 PM
His Dudeness
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy. Tall guy. New ride needed.

First post here so hello fellow petrol sniffers!
I live in Europe, had lots of different bikes in the past. Slow, fast, ugly, weird, awesome - I did them all.
My last bike was a 2004 V-rod. But I'm pretty much done with V-rods. I've bought a HD to play it safe (wife, 2 kids blah, blah). Did not ride it hard - still I had 2 accidents in 2 years with it! (Always car driver's fault). Had few scratches on my arm and leg - that's it. But my Rod is pretty much done now (frame deformed). I don't cry. I'll get insurance money for it. I've even thought, that it's time to stop riding.... But I simply can't....!

So now it's time to pick up a new bike. A bike for cruising country side. Keep it even safer...

Trouble is I'm 6'7". Yes. I like sportster forty eight.....I't looks like a freaking toy under me!

First of all I would like a big bike that handles well so I can feel safer (those accidents freaked me out a little.)

I've tried a Fatboy. Nice -only one that is really my size but a little too old school for me (we have some nice curves here so softails can be tricky to handle.).
I kinda started to like Dynas more now so that is an option but I did not try one yet. And their size is so so for me.
So here is what I can pick up:
- There is a nice Night rod Special (no ABS) - Nice but I don't trust them anymore...
- A nice Fatboy in denim paint job. Looks bada$$ but makes me feel..older...
- Dyna Fat Bob - quite expensive here. But i love the style and feel comfy on it.
- Street Bob - like it less than a FB but I can get a new one for the price of used FB!

Tough choice, different machines. Go try them out you say? Well, they won't let me until I show the cash (but don't worry I will). I'm not looking for a show off bike - just a friend who will share the road with me and handle well. Maybe some of you guys have been in the similar situation and can help me make my mind.
Thank you for hearing the story of my life!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'4" and finding the right combination of things took some time. I ended with a Dyna Wide Glide. Kept the forward controls and put a Tall Boy seat on it. The stock handlebars worked great but you may need to try some different ones. I still make the bike look a bit small but I have no complaints about riding position and I feel just fine after a two to three hour cruise.

What ever bike you choose have the dealer swap out seats and try the different styles they have available. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd stay away from anything with floorboards or midsets and look for something with forward controls. You can always get extensions for them.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:45 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

Road King would be perfect for you.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 AM
His Dudeness
4th Gear

Well, thanks for replies. I must admit, I've loved Road Kings since they came out. I would gladly get one but here are some doubts:
- I live in Europe, so I like to take curvy narrow mountain roads sometimes - still I've heard it would handle a lot better than softails there.
- I can afford only 2001-2005 model
- I'm only 34

Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Seabee Son
Advanced

My vote for a tall person would be the Wide Glide. I am 6'3" with a 36" inseam. With the forward control extensions (3" extensions) I am comfortable. Add a seat that moves you back, and up, would make the comfort level even better. Mini apes or even a bit higher help out too.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Seabee Son
My vote for a tall person would be the Wide Glide. I am 6'3" with a 36" inseam. With the forward control extensions (3" extensions) I am comfortable. Add a seat that moves you back, and up, would make the comfort level even better. Mini apes or even a bit higher help out too.
I would have to agree, a Dyna model can be very accommodating. They can be fitted with forward controls and then some can have an extra inch added to them. And since you mentioned curvy roads, Dynas also perform well on that too.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
- I'm only 34
HAHA
That is always my reply when people ask me why I didnt get a road king.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
Road King would be perfect for you.
I disagree with that. I'm about 6'2" (most of my height is in my legs) and with the stock seat I felt like my knees were under my chin. I put a TallBoy seat on it and then put Heritage-style bars on it for the extra pullback and now the bike fits me great. But if I were another 5" taller like the OP, I think these changes wouldn't be enough. As much as I think the Road King is the right answer to most questions, I don't think it is here. I agree with the previous posters who said to look for something with forward controls.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Fat Bob. I am 6'4" and it works very well for me. Also, it handles well for an HD, esp in the twisties.

Quick Reply: New guy. Tall guy. New ride needed.