General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing between lowrider and deuce

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing between lowrider and deuce

Hi, im wanting to buy a used harley, and going to look at a couple. Both bikes are 2002 models, one is a deuce with 34k miles and a 96" big bore, the other is a lowrider with 13k miles. Both bikes are the same price., owned by a retired man, and looked to be in real good shape. Which bike is the better bike,,Ive been out of the bike scene for 20yrs, and dont know anything about either model

Thanks

Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Pics and pricing would help us help you. Carbs or EFI? Being a Softail guy myself, I'd go with the Deuce. But that's just me.
And Welcome to the Forum!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

thanks ..i dont have any pics yet, They are both carbed. The bikes are 3 hr drive away, im hoping i can get off early enough tomorrow to go up there. The man told me both bikes are nice, but on the deuce, it has minor chrome flaking on the rocker boxes, brake pedal and handlebar risers, and the big bore kit has just under 20k miles on it. The lowrider is supposed to be extra nice and dont need a thing. Oh and the chrome flaking is not from salt etc, he said the bike was kept covered with a tarp from previous owner, and condensation caused it. I know its just a guessing game till i get there and look for myself. Im leaning towards the deuce, if its nice..but really like the idea of the lowrider only having 13k miles oh, and 5200 is the price for either

Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Sounds like a helluva price. Agreed on the mileage side of things. As you say, you'll have to see it to believe it. Keep your wits about you, make sure they pass the "smell" test.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

Originally Posted by machinistmate
Sounds like a helluva price. Agreed on the mileage side of things. As you say, you'll have to see it to believe it. Keep your wits about you, make sure they pass the "smell" test.
lol..yeah i went ahead and stopped by the bank today and got the cash just in case..hoping it wont we a wasted trip. Finally got my kids raised and been itchin to get another bike. Thought about a new one, but i figured no more than ill get to ride, it would be stupid to finance a toy.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

For that price, but both of them

Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You won't go wrong with either, but as a Softail rider, I've always liked the Duece, most don't, not as many parts to fit them, but with that engine and handling, it'll be a blast to ride. Good luck on your purchase and welcome!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:56 AM
notnutts
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a lowrider. Lowrider has mids (pegs middle, not forward) and the external dyna shocks. Both are nice bikes. It depends on what you want.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

So far as I have read this is a no brainer the dyna is the way to go!
because if the 02 deuce has a 96'' big bore kit in it, some one is miss
informed. The 02 was an 88" and a big bore kit would have put it to
a 95". The dyna will have a better take off because it isn't wasting
enegry moving the balancers that the deuce has in it. Some one
informed me that a dyna will set at a red light and shake like a dog
trying to crap a peach seed but gets smooth as silk going down the
road. Now the soft tail will be as smooth as silk ai a red light, but
the viberation on the road will increase as the RPMs goes up.
Are you going to spend more time at the red light or going down the
road?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 AM
OldTyme
Tourer

Man... everyday I come to this place & see people getting killer deals. You couldn't touch a non-sportie for under $4-$5k around here. (nothing wrong w/the sportster.geesh.lighten up Francis)
I guess it's location. ? . /end rant

Back on topic: I have a 01 Low Rider & really like how nimble it is. Very fun to ride. Sometimes I feel it is a touch too small & I'm only 5'10. It's not cramped or uncomfortable, it just "feels" small.(maybe that's a good thing?)
Very easy to work on & find parts for.....I installed rear air shocks off a FLH (best upgrade ever) and exhaust from a Wideglide.

On the other hand, I really like the looks of the Deuce. Not so sure how good I would feel with a Big Bore kit in it unless it was installed from a reputable source and not from Bubba from down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: choosing between lowrider and deuce