General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 EG Ultra Limited FLHTK - wobble fix???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 01:16 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 2013 EG Ultra Limited FLHTK - wobble fix???

I recently did a left turn sweeper that's marked 55 mph but have done it many times before faster than
that so just left it on 75. Half way through it the rear end wobble got real bad and I needed the whole
lane to handle it. This particular bike, 2013 Ultra limited, has only 10k miles on it and the suspension
works fine after I changed the fork oil and shock fluid. My question - is there a decent stabilizer out
there that will fix or at least make the wobble less severe? I'm hoping to hear from folks that have
actually put one on their bike and can give me first hand impressions of their effectiveness.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Do not repeat the high speed sweeper till you figure out what caused the problem! Speaking from experience on a 2009 limited. It could be your steering head, tire pressure, uneven worn tires or other mechanical problems. My issue was the steering head.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:52 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

If everything else checks out mechanically, try the True Track stabilizer. My 2011 Limited had a tendency to get squirrely after hitting a bump in a turn, the True Track reduced that effect.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Well 20 MPH over the recommended speed may not be the safest speed?

Your bike should not be having any wobble.

I had a friend with a 2015 Limited that had a front tire go bad. It was great in a straight line but put in in a turn and it was dangerous. They checked wheel bearings, neck bearings and adjusted, tire pressure, you name it. The tire looked fine but the decision was made to take it off and change it. It was beginning to separate. New tire and all was fine.

I would look for the real problem before you but a band aide on.

Good luck and slow down at least till you figure it out.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 655 Posts

Whoa.....i thought the 09 and newer didnt have the wobble??

Old 11-12-2017, 09:26 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Whoa.....i thought the 09 and newer didnt have the wobble??
Any bike, any brand can wobble if it has mechanical issues. You're talking about a whole another problem that was inherent in the swingarm design for the pre-2009 bikes. Since the OP's bike developed the issue recently, he needs to get it checked out. Bikes are not forgiving if pushed when there are handling issues. That's why I told the OP not to push it till he fixes his problem. Road rash sucks.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:12 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default Tnx for the suggestion ...

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Well 20 MPH over the recommended speed may not be the safest speed?

Your bike should not be having any wobble.

I had a friend with a 2015 Limited that had a front tire go bad. It was great in a straight line but put in in a turn and it was dangerous. They checked wheel bearings, neck bearings and adjusted, tire pressure, you name it. The tire looked fine but the decision was made to take it off and change it. It was beginning to separate. New tire and all was fine.

I would look for the real problem before you but a band aide on.

Good luck and slow down at least till you figure it out.
Tnx - put on a new MC II front tire but not the problem. Will go with others suggestions - neck bearing adj etc and I expect I'll
find the root cause of my problem.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 399 Likes on 283 Posts

You improved the action of the forks and shocks, so either a chassis stabilizer (there are a couple out there), and check the motor mounts, even tough you have few miles, it is still a 2013, and rubber breaks down with age. Lower front mount would be the first suspect.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:08 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,138 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Start with your neck bearings. get the bike to 45 or 50 MPH on a long straight road and let go of the bars. If the bars start wobbling its probably the neck bearings. If not that then check the tires. If they are cupped underinflated or worn it will wobble.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:44 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default Wobble

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Start with your neck bearings. get the bike to 45 or 50 MPH on a long straight road and let go of the bars. If the bars start wobbling its probably the neck bearings. If not that then check the tires. If they are cupped underinflated or worn it will wobble.
New front tire but will check the neck bearing adjustment and lower motor mount per folks suggestions before getting
a stabilizer.

Quick Reply: 2013 EG Ultra Limited FLHTK - wobble fix???