General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do brake pads last you?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How long do brake pads last you?

Another Anubiss question here. I always wear my fronts out before rears as I was taught to use more front than rear, and I always do. I am aware that in MSF they say use both equally, but I don't. I came from crotch rockets where the rear never needed to be used at all, except for balance while splitting lanes slowly. I could use my pinky on those dual discs with fully floating rotors and do a stoppie if I wanted to. My harley's brakes are not quite as strong as that, and I have a 6 piston pm caliper, but they are more than adequate for the kind of stops I need on a regular basis. I have replaced my front pads once in the 10k miles I have ridden on the fatboy. I used the ebc greens as that is what they ordered for e at the stealer, although I find that the greens are very soft and wear out much quicker than the blacks. It took two or 3 tries for them to get the right pads for the PM calipers(parts guys are dumb as a brick) but that is another story in itself. After about 5000 miles they are still plenty meaty...

Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
brauny1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How long do brake pads last you?

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Another Anubiss question here. After about 5000 miles they are still plenty meaty...
Sounds to me like they are still plenty meaty, The safe thing to do is keep inspecting every 100 miles or so, you just never know...

Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I got 18k out of my rear,still on the original fronts.05 RKC.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:34 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Got 28,000 out of the last pads on the front, 20,000 on the rear. I use both front and rear brakes routinely, but squeeze a little harder on the front in quick stops.[8D]

Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Changed out rear pads at 28K, still had about 50% left,but were squealing...Still have about 65% on front at 28.5K

Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 AM
LimeNine9r
Tourer

I replace brake pads on my Ninja when it's time to replace front tire, around 10K miles
I only get about 5k out of the rear tire - my theory has been
that I get to run the brake pads and front tire through 2 rear tires

Harley still has orignal brake pads and tires with over 9k miles.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:29 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Never think about, milage life on parts.Because of the way I ride,but when replacing front pads the rears are always in the same condition.It is a given to replace both sets at the same time.We all haveour own style.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Whackone
Tourer

Change a tire, change the pads. Simple rule I've lived with. My life is well worth a $150 tire and $45 pads. At least to me but maybe not my Ex. LOL

Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

30,000 front and rear.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Steeltown
Tourer

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Another Anubiss question here. I always wear my fronts out before rears as I was taught to use more front than rear, and I always do. I am aware that in MSF they say use both equally, but I don't. I came from crotch rockets where the rear never needed to be used at all, except for balance while splitting lanes slowly. I could use my pinky on those dual discs with fully floating rotors and do a stoppie if I wanted to. My harley's brakes are not quite as strong as that, and I have a 6 piston pm caliper, but they are more than adequate for the kind of stops I need on a regular basis. I have replaced my front pads once in the 10k miles I have ridden on the fatboy. I used the ebc greens as that is what they ordered for e at the stealer, although I find that the greens are very soft and wear out much quicker than the blacks. It took two or 3 tries for them to get the right pads for the PM calipers(parts guys are dumb as a brick) but that is another story in itself. After about 5000 miles they are still plenty meaty...
Take some fools advice...buy a Service and Parts manual...study them...and it will give you all the answers you need and more....we'll except for the more ridiculous questions about underwear and such, that you seem interested in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long do brake pads last you?