General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tips on buying new from a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
USMC5803
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tips on buying new from a dealer

In a few months, I'll be buying my first 'new' HD from a dealership. Have bought from private parties before. Any tips on on buying would be helpful. For example, do dealerships negotiate on price like car dealers? What else should I look for? Thanks.

USMC5803

Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where do I start?

I would first tell you to do it in the middle of the winter but it appears you may live somewhere where there is no end to the riding season.
Definetly shop around. Get a price from every dealer. Get them to write it down if you can. (good luck with that though)
Don't finance through HD if you can help it. Unless they're willing to deal on interest rates too. If not, don't tell them your gonna finance elsewhere until you've made your deal. HD wants the finance charges just like any other financial institution and some may not cut you as good a deal if they know they're not gonna get that too. Maybe
Make whoever you buy it from throw in the 1,000 mile service for free. If you buy a service manual, you can do the rest yourself. The first 1,000 mile service is a biggie though so its best to have them do it.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Good luck!

GSF

Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM
lonn711
Advanced
Default negotiating

From my experience, the shipping and "getting it ready" charges have been waived.

Some dealers will throw in several hundred dollars worth of accessories. Negotiate the price of having them do the Stage One.

Enjoy

Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be able to get a pretty good deal on 12's right now. Out in our area, they will throw in store credits when they are trying to move bikes.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Plenty of deals to be had, especially on the leftover 2012s. If one dealer won't deal find another one that will. I usually try to get as many OTD price quotes via email and phone before stepping foot into a dealership. Once you go inside the dealership you're on their turf and it's always better to negotiate from a position of power.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:59 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

From my experience out here they don’t budge all that much. Like others have said, you may be able to get some accessories thrown in or they may knock off the prep charge. I wouldn’t settle for just “we’ll throw in a couple of oil changes” you can do that yourself. It sounds like your set on the dealership but I wouldn’t stop there. You can check eBay or other listings and pickup something “almost new” and save some $. In this market there is always someone out there taking a hit on their garage queen. BL, don’t by hasty and throw your $ away…

Old 09-20-2012, 05:29 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC5803
In a few months, I'll be buying my first 'new' HD from a dealership. Have bought from private parties before. Any tips on on buying would be helpful. For example, do dealerships negotiate on price like car dealers? What else should I look for? Thanks.

USMC5803
Like the bumper sticker from the '80s used to say:
"friends don't let friends buy from dealers!"
What would the reason be to NOT buy again from a private party? The dealers blow period. The money they make on you pays for those funny little shirts they all wear.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

After you buy, stop looking for a better price.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,601 Posts

First thing that I'd suggest is to talk to some local bikers.

The word gets around quickly if a dealer is gouging cutomers on bikes, service prices, or does sloppy work.

Getting a good price on a bike is important but getting warranty work done quickly and correctly is important also.

Back in the years when H-D's were hard to get, some dealerships were cranking the price up over MSPR and folks don't forget that kind of crap.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

When I bought mine, I had a price that I wanted and I wanted a sissy bar. Told them how much I was willing to pay OTD and said deal or no deal. He went to the manager and we shook on it. I came back from my bank the next day with a check for the exact amount. They had the bike prepped from the day before and within a half hour I was out the door with my fatboy.

Quick Reply: Need tips on buying new from a dealer