Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Buell opinions? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/812370-buell-opinions.html)

tehan2 10-01-2012 08:10 PM

You know that you can wheelie and tear up corners on your dyna, right?

that said, if you want one, buy it! it's a different ride, with a slightly different purpose. I like the looks of the "tube frame" buells much more than the thick alloy look

deez nuts 10-02-2012 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by tehan2 (Post 10396552)

that said, if you want one, buy it! it's a different ride, with a slightly different purpose. I like the looks of the "tube frame" buells much more than the thick alloy look

Yes I've dragged pegs on my dyna slamming some corners and can push it pretty good, my rider skill as far as the twisties is probably average though, i dont push it harder then what i know i can handle because one false move on a big twin and youre eating asphalt. Even flexing my dyna's muscles as hard as i can im still playing catch up with my friends. One has an SV650 and another has a CBR600 and another buddy just got some other jap thing. they all look alike to me lol. Normally when we ride together and we get to the corners i fall behind a little which is to be expected, hit the straightaway and i close the gap no problem though. Up the mountain theyre playing catch up on the steep grade where my big motor can stay in the high gear without bogging one bit :icon_bowrofl: I havent tried to wheelie it yet but i will soon i think, start with a few small wheelies, i guess im nervous about hurting the bike if i come down hard.

Village Idiot™ 10-02-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by tehan2 (Post 10396552)

But you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on a sportbike to make it wheelie and a dyna will never be able to handle as well as a Buell...well, unless you rebuild the frame to something more suited to that type of riding and basically build your own bike with a dyna engine. Even then, it'll be guess work vs the many hours and large amount of money any major company gets to throw at R&D.

deez nuts 10-02-2012 08:24 AM

The only thing that i dont like about the XR1200 is the way it sounds, just sounds fluttery and like a import most of the time i hear one. Just doesnt have that harley rumble that says "America kicks ass" idk why i mean it has a big engine and stuff, must be something with the cams or the efi that makes it sound different

sharkey 10-02-2012 10:07 AM

Learn to wheelie a Dyna??? That'll cost ya...

Most fun I ever had on a demo was a Buell Ulysses...really brings out the bad boy in you and with the right can provides the proper HD sound...my Dyna is extensively modded and would get spanked by a good rider on a Buell in a heartbeat.

deez nuts 10-02-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by sharkey (Post 10398290)
Learn to wheelie a Dyna??? That'll cost ya...

Most fun I ever had on a demo was a Buell Ulysses...really brings out the bad boy in you and with the right can provides the proper HD sound...my Dyna is extensively modded and would get spanked by a good rider on a Buell in a heartbeat.

I think i could get my dyna to stand up without much effort. The engine is worked over and has tons of power so all i gotta do is sit upright with my weight more towards the back and a little snap of the wrist i bet that thing would stand right up. I'm not gonna be riding it out for very long but just a quick pop and thats impressive enough for a harley.

I have heard buells that sound pretty good, not a harley rumble but damn near. Why does the XR sound so fluttery? Sounds like it has a fast idle too.

vistavette 10-02-2012 04:12 PM

My brother has two Buells - an XB9 and an XB12. I love riding both of them and so far no issues; HD is required to offer parts for at least 7 years. I do agree with another post about the 903 vs 1200; the 1200 is the way to go.

Notgrownup 10-02-2012 04:21 PM

Parts is what would worry me on them older ones...sure you can find a lots of parts but it's a toss up...I would go for Metric...parts availability...TThe buells i have tried ran like scalded cats...

deez nuts 10-03-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Notgrownup (Post 10399570)
Parts is what would worry me on them older ones...sure you can find a lots of parts but it's a toss up...I would go for Metric...parts availability...TThe buells i have tried ran like scalded cats...

Everybody has a metric, i want something different so as far as a sporty rip up the corners bike its either a Buell or an XR1200. The XR is way more in the different category then anything else because i've only ever even seen 1 on the road where im from. Not to mention they just look so kick ass, if i can just find one at a good price and then find an exhaust that sounds good on it i think ill be set.

NDBadlands4-2 10-03-2012 08:25 AM

They were a great bike, just at the wrong time, and possibly marketed to the wrong folks (us). Harley still makes parts for them, and Mr. Buell is still in business making some truly serious sport bikes. I would love to have one. If I were to ever get another sport bike I would get one for sure. It will definitely stand out.