General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best place to sell parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default best place to sell parts

I bought a bone stock RKC 2007 and have been upgrading various parts.

Is there a good market for OEM parts like Handle bars, exhaust, Seat?? I also have a full size windshield i need to move. I'm thinking ebay might be better than craigslist. just lookin for others experience.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try craigslist, but most stock "take-offs" are a dime a dozen, good luck!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had good experience selling parts on eBay. I've got a luggage rack and a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner kit on there right now.

BUT, as was mentioned, stock take-off stuff is hanging on garage walls all over America. Not worth much.

Better in my opinion to keep the take off stuff should you later sell the bike. You can either (1) remove your expensive add-ons and sell THEM on eBay, reinstalling the stock stuff. Or, (2) let the stuff go to buyer when you sell the bike. Not everyone appreciates everyone else's mods. Many potential buyers appreciate receiving the stock take off stuff with the bike.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I would try the classified's here first.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Craigslist

I've used Craigslist for all my take off stuff. It's free, easy, local and all done at my leisure. There are always some bikers looking for a replacement part on the cheap because something got bent or scratched or what ever. Everything from a stock Sportster single seat to OE Road King bars. Price it reasonable and someone will buy it!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I've used Craigslist for all my take off stuff. It's free, easy, local and all done at my leisure. There are always some bikers looking for a replacement part on the cheap because something got bent or scratched or what ever. Everything from a stock Sportster single seat to OE Road King bars. Price it reasonable and someone will buy it!
I think i'll give that a try. I'll research average price then lowball it just to move the things. I'll most likely give Craigslist a try first then go to ebay. I don't like the idea of stranges coming to the house.

I've had luck as a buyer going to peoples houses, howerver a couple times when they got a look at me I think i made them nervous. Shaved Head and big beard looks suspect even on a 5'7" man. :-)

Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give the HD forums classifieds a shot. I have some stuff and I was thinking about trying it out myself. If no luck there, I'll probably move on to ebay or Craigs's.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I sold most my stuff right here on HD forums,for a Fair price . My son likes craigslist and Ebay. He sells a lot of different parts.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others have said, stock stuff isn't worth much just because it's a dime a dozen. Unless you are dealing in 84-99 Softail parts (that are in high demand right now). I do a lot of selling on e-bay and prefer it over craigslist. You set the lowest price you are willing to take and the auction just goes up from there, as opposed to having someone come to your house trying to beat you down on your asking price. The windshield will probably sell very easy. The bars, seat and stock pipes probably won't bring much cash. I'd consider squirreling them away somewhere and selling them off down the road. Stock parts for old model Harleys sell great.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've bought and sold right here on the HD classifieds. will probably get better results here than craigslist. ebay would get out to even more though. And I'm with the others here, not much of a market for stock oem stuff. I have some stock oem mufflers from a fatboy that i haven't gotten even a look from anyone.