General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biltwell El Fuerte helmets recalled!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts
Default Biltwell El Fuerte helmets recalled!!!

Thought id pass it along if either you wanted to grab one before there gone or dont want to get one now because they are dis continued. FWIW.

A statement from biltwell,

You may have noticed that we took the El Fuerte helmets out of our online store this past weekend. Here's why. We had the helmets independently tested once we received our first order, and even though they had passed earlier evaluations, these ones failed. Not by much, but a fail is a fail. We've looked up the NHTSA guidelines and they are fairly ambiguous and it appears that lots of helmet companies fail and some have to do recalls, and other don't. Since we've got hard data from a lab we trust, we're not going to wait to be forced to do this, we're just going to recall the helmets and bring them back to market when they've been modified, tested and proven. If you've recently purchased an El Fuerte helmet, below you will find the official instructions on how to return it. We will also be emailing you and sending a letter by regular mail. Shops, you can deal directly with us on this at recall@biltwellinc.com no matter where you bought your helmets.

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Dear Valued Biltwell Customer,

We’re sending you this notice in accordance with requirements stated in the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Biltwell has determined that its El Fuerte Helmet does not conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218.

Your El Fuerte Helmet is Being Recalled Because:
During voluntary and self-imposed redundant testing of the Biltwell El Fuerte open-face helmet, this product failed at least two of the following US DOT standards:
• Interior labeling
• Impact attenuation (cold, hot, ambient and/or water immersed)

Due to these compliance failures, your Biltwell El Fuerte helmet may be compromised by impact, improper cleaning and/or exposure to extreme moisture, heat or cold.

What We Are Doing About the Problem:
Biltwell is offering refunds on all helmets affected by the recall.

What You Should Do:
If you own a Biltwell El Fuerte helmet purchased between September 12, 2012 and October 8th 2012, STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY and call (951) 699-1500 extension 803, or send an email to: Recall@Biltwellinc.com.

Please include the following in your correspondence:

• Your full name and mailing address
• Helmet model, size and color purchased
• Where purchased
• Purchase price
• Reimbursement preference: paypal or check? If paypal, what email address do you use?

Once we have your information, we will email or mail you a UPS shipping label to return the helmet to Biltwell Inc.

Immediately upon receipt of returned merchandise we will reimburse you for the retail price of your El Fuerte helmet, plus a freight allowance of $10.

NO RECEIPT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE REIMBURSEMENT, BUT WE MUST RECEIVE THE HELMET BEFORE ISSUING PAYMENT.

If You No Longer Own Your Helmet:
If you no longer own this helmet, please forward this letter to the new owner or send an email to: Recall@Biltwellinc.com with the name and contact information of the new owner.

If You Have Any Further Questions or Concerns:
Call (951) 699-1500 extension 803, or send an email to: Recall@Biltwellinc.com.

If after following the instructions in this recall you feel your reimbursement was not issued in a timely fashion, you may submit a written complaint to:

National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration
Attn: The Administrator
1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E.
Washington DC, 20590

or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236 or go to http://www.safercar.gov/.

We apologize for any inconvenience this recall may cause, and we appreciate your speedy assistance to help us remedy this matter. On behalf of everyone at Biltwell Inc., thanks for your understanding.

Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
www.safercar.gov
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Old 10-09-2012, 10:24 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool, maybe the price will go down on them on Ebay. My ACC cost $40 after the recall - wore it today to keep my head warm. Now my wife wants the Bell I'm wearing in these pictures, so I need a new 3/4 for the helmet states.

Last edited by brenn; 10-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Cool, maybe the price will go down on them on Ebay. My ACC cost $40 after the recall - wore it today to keep my head warm. Now my wife wants the Bell I'm wearing in these pictures, so I need a new 3/4 for the helmet states.
If I was in the market id grab one. Ist almost a DOT.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,976 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
If I was in the market id grab one. Ist almost a DOT.
CA police give you pass on "It's almost a DOT"?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

biltwell sure does recall a lot of stuff. at least they don't sweep this stuff under the rug. but dayum they sure have to recall a lot of stuff.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

[QUOTE=ChopperBill;10425236]CA police give you pass on "It's almost a DOT"?[/QUOTE]

LOL

I wonder if the helmets still have the factory DOT sticker on the back? If so, then how would the cop know it failed. But then I saw where the interior labeling was incorrect. Again, the average doughnut muncher probably wouldn't know there was an issue.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=Tony P;10425651]
Originally Posted by ChopperBill
CA police give you pass on "It's almost a DOT"?[/QUOTE]

LOL

I wonder if the helmets still have the factory DOT sticker on the back? If so, then how would the cop know it failed. But then I saw where the interior labeling was incorrect. Again, the average doughnut muncher probably wouldn't know there was an issue.
"doughnut muncher"...it sure takes a great mind to come up with something like that!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
You're hilarious, hoping a failed $100 helmet drops lower in price.

Why do you dislike your head & face so much?