General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re. Group ride nightmare update

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 PM
brickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re. Group ride nightmare update

I just found out that one of the riders who was seriously injured right in front of me during a group ride for breast cancer in Maine last Saturday May 24th has died from the head injury he received when his bike went down. His name is Ricky Morse and he was only 28 years old. My prayers and thoughts go out for him and his family. The other three who were injured are expected to make a full recovery. We were traveling around 35mph when the accident occurred.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 PM
MLZ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So sorry to hear about this.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

Very saddening... My prayers for him, his family and loved ones.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:04 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Prayers for all

Old 06-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

It's sad, but he was an unlicensed rider without a helmet according to your last post. He took a pretty big risk and it bit him in the ***.

I know someone who went down Sunday afternoon. He'd only been riding (on an electra glide no less) for about a month and had one of those skullies on. He's right now waiting to go in to surgery for a broken jaw. Plus, I'm pretty sure he was drinking at a local bar after the God Bless America ride.

The more chances you take, the more likely you are to get hurt or killed.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Fredh
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Prayers to Ricky and his family . Be safe out there.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:54 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,045 Likes on 11,063 Posts

Condolences and sympathy to Ricky's grieving family. But now the nightmare begins with insurance, attorneys and wrongful death lawsuits.
Those involved in the crash as well as ride organizers will be listed as defendants.
Anyone organizing poker or charity runs better have liability insurance paid up. Without it, the ride captain could lose everything.

Last edited by upflying; 06-03-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 AM
brickie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
It's sad, but he was an unlicensed rider without a helmet according to your last post. He took a pretty big risk and it bit him in the ***.

I know someone who went down Sunday afternoon. He'd only been riding (on an electra glide no less) for about a month and had one of those skullies on. He's right now waiting to go in to surgery for a broken jaw. Plus, I'm pretty sure he was drinking at a local bar after the God Bless America ride.

The more chances you take, the more likely you are to get hurt or killed.
Yes I would assume that he may not have had much riding experience but still a very sad and eye opening thing to witness. We've all made bad choices in our lives especially when we were younger and I think a lot of people don't realize just how dangerous riding a motorcycle can be. It seemed like we were barely moving when the accident happened and I still can't believe how much pain and suffering it caused. I wear my DOT half shell about 90% of the time with the exception being very short rides or running an errand. 100% of the time now after seeing this happen at a reasonably slow speed. I'm in no way trying to start a helmet debate but I'd be willing to bet that he would have survived if he had been wearing one. I'm choosing to wear one all the time now and think that anyone with limited riding experience should absolutely be wearing one. No if, ands or buts at least until they become experienced.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Condolences and sympathy to Ricky's grieving family. But now the nightmare begins with insurance, attorneys and wrongful death lawsuits.
Those involved in the crash as well as ride organizers will be listed as defendants.
Anyone organizing poker or charity runs better have liability insurance paid up. Without it, the ride captain could lose everything.
That's a joke, right? If you invite a friend along for a ride and he gets hurt with no involvement by you, are you liable because you invited him?

Poker runs and the like are no different. If you voluntarily participate in some run, those organizing the run have no liability for anything that happens to you. You can only be responsible for what you can control, and no one has any control over how you ride but yourself.

This was a tragedy for sure, and I can feel for all involved.

Last edited by mmancuso; 06-03-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer

R.i.p...

Quick Reply: Re. Group ride nightmare update