General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Fuel/Timing ECM Tuner to Choose???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM
DEDO1369
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Fuel/Timing ECM Tuner to Choose???

With so many different ECM flash tuners available I am completely mired with choices.

I am posting this question in the general Harley Chat since any one who has done any modifications to their bike has had to make this choice.

I would like to get users of as many tuners as possible to tell me what tuner they use and the Pros/Cons of the unit and ease of use.

I have a 2008 Softail Deluxe FLSTN that is stock except for a D&D Fat Cat exhaust system. Now that my bike is paid off, my plans are too build an all out 107 using the SE stage IV kit and SE MVA heads.

Thanks to all for their input.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My first advice would be to decide if your going to do all of this in one shot or space the upgrades out. If its all in one shot the choice could be easyer. From my experiance depending on the tuner every individual mod you do your gonna need to dyno the bike. If you go with a sert you can just get a flash at 90 bucks a pop roughly. This is compared to 350 on average for a dyno tune. This is why you should do everything at once if you can. If you have a sert the bike still won't run the greatest since it will be 50 state compliant. So in the end you will need a dyno done with your sert.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by DEDO1369
With so many different ECM flash tuners available I am completely mired with choices.

I am posting this question in the general Harley Chat since any one who has done any modifications to their bike has had to make this choice.

I would like to get users of as many tuners as possible to tell me what tuner they use and the Pros/Cons of the unit and ease of use.

I have a 2008 Softail Deluxe FLSTN that is stock except for a D&D Fat Cat exhaust system. Now that my bike is paid off, my plans are too build an all out 107 using the SE stage IV kit and SE MVA heads.

Thanks to all for their input.
The following link is to an objective overview of the most popular ECM tuners.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

I personally run the Power Vision with the following package-

Click HERE

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dang phone cut it off..... anyhow some tuners are made to " lie" to your bikes ecm. I had one of these tuners and it jacked up my ecm recently. So I now have a sert tuner in my bike. And yes I talked to an indie and he agreed that it was infact this tuner that did it. The company I bought it from denied it as well as the manufacturer. With this said this apparently only happens on newer bikes. 09 08 and up I think. I'm not naming names but look up what ever tuner fried ecm and you will see. But most tuners other then a sert which is made to completely reprogram your ecm will lie to your bike and eventually cause problems possibly like I had. I research them all for 5 months and got the wrong one personally id just get a sert. Call the companies read more then you have don't jump into it.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,123 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Good thread. Looking for the same information.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 PM
woodsietx
Cruiser

Agreed. That thread explains it quite well. Very valuable in my decision making.

This is kind of long but I wanted to set up context and how I arrived at my conclusions. Here's what I've done and plan to do.

Bike had V&H Big Shots and a stage I air cleaner on it when I bought it. I believe the first owner had it flashed at the dealer.

Last August I had an S&S 583 cam installed. We put a PC III on it. PC is what my mechanic was most familiar with. He has no dyno. The bike ran well but fuel mileage went in the crapper and you could see smoke on start and accel. Very strong fuel smell most of the time behind the bike (well that's what a co-worker said one day when he was behind me). Mechanic said he really couldn't get it any better without going to a PCV or taking it to a dyno or both.

I spent a butt load of money on engine mods earlier this year and it didn't feel like it should. Last month a TQ/HP run was done and it showed my tune was way off in the AFRs. The numbers weren't bad but not what one would expect with the engine work. Everyone I've spoke to recommends a 2>1 and a tune. Some have even questioned my cam selection. An email from DynoJet said the PCIII plus a proper dyno tune would work as well.

What I've done is replace the V&H with a Fat Cat. I have ordered a MasterTune to replace the PCIII. Once I have it, I'll find the money to get it dynoed, most likely at Shamrock in Pflugerville. I've heard goods things about Nick.

My reasoning. A tune is a must, no matter which tuner I use. I've priced it three places, dynos in two, ride tuning in the other. Every choice but the PCIII requires $350-500 in new parts.

I chose the TTS because it is a flash tuner with high regard every place I've heard about it. I figured to get a tuner that I can eventually learn to tweak. A PCV has the same issues as the PCIII but has better functions and can attach an AutoTune. But an Autotune would mean another $500 although it wouldn't require a dyno I believe. My understanding is that auto tuners aren't as thorough as flash tuners.

Next step is to pay for a proper tune from a reputable tuner one time to get the bike right and then take the time to learn how to use the TTS. I've been advised that a different baffle in the Fat Cat would be better. If I decide to change it later, I should be able to learn the TTS software well enough to retune. Or not. I'm sure the tuner would take my money again.

My butt dyno says the Fat Cat is a very good choice. The bike feels better, accelerates better, etc.... The mechanic leaned out the PCIII and that may be the reason. I'll post numbers once I get it tuned.

I think this strategy helps get me the best possible solution for a "right" amount of money with a good plan for the future.

Thanks for enduring the length of this post.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
DEDO1369
Intermediate

I will be doing all engine mods in one shot.

As stated above, I am only interested in Flash tuners,NO piggy backs or enricheners

Are there flash tuners with auto tune?

Cost is Not an issue...

I just want the BEST tuner are complete tuneable engine management system available.

I do like the idea of having one of the units with auto tune.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:08 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My only experience with a flash tuner is with a Power Vision, which allows you to use the stock narrow band sensors to do additional tuning. You can also purchase the DynoJet AutoTune setup to have wide band sensors (see the DK Customs setup ealier in the thread).

From reading I know that the TTS MasterTune also allows you to capture data and adjust the tune, but I do not know much more.

I do not know anything about the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak FP3 and the Harley Screamin' Eagle Tuner (be sure to get the Race Tuner and not the Street Tuner).

There may be others, but the PowerVision and the TTS have the most support on various Harley forums and Fuel Moto for Power Vision and FullSac for the TTS have excellent customer service.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DEDO1369
...I do like the idea of having one of the units with auto tune.
Just make sure you understand what an "auto tune" system does and does not do.

In the end, that type of system may not be the panacea many are seeking.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 PM
DEDO1369
Intermediate

All I know about autotune is what I have read in product advertising.
According to the manufactures their tuners with autotune are the best thing since sliced bread.

Seriously I have only owned shovel head glides since I began riding in 1977.

This 2008 Deluxe is my first computer controlled bike. I bought it new in May 08 and now that it`s paid off I am ready to freshen up the top end and go up to 107ci.

I understand that before I add the big bore kit,heads,cams and all the other go fast parts that I will need to be able to reflash the ECM as needed to properly tune the engine.

I was hoping that riders with some of the different flash tuners would tell me what they like/dislike about the tuner they are using.

Quick Reply: Which Fuel/Timing ECM Tuner to Choose???