General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bmw vs harley police bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
goo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeesh. I'm mostly disappointed in the cost.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

Agreed..crazy pricing..not sure about the comment that this is the motor their officers choose..????...they want speed, there are far more faster bikes than beemers...just saying...

V-rods are fast and there motors are enginered by Porche (German)..with RG fairing and bags they would be a killer looking popo bike. perhaps HD should re-think this option ...JMO

Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

As for "ready-to-go" cop bikes, there aren't many...if HD wanted to offer BMW performance, then let THEM offer a cop spec V-Rod...

The Beemer is 200lbs less and 2 seconds faster; that's nearly 200ft in just 1320ft...I wish HD would "pursue" the police market with more vigor; we could get more capable and affordable bikes as consumers then; a stripped down 110 Street Glide perhaps?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to some motor cops in Denver (one of the suburbs)and was giving them a little $hit about using bmw and they told me it was becuase they could hop curbs and median edges way easier .They were riding something that looked like a buell ulysses though.I am not familiar enough with bmw lines but they said they loved them and they were lighter and way more versatile

Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by twistr
.they want speed, there are far more faster bikes than beemers...just saying...

V-rods are fast and there motors are enginered by Porche (German)..with RG fairing and bags they would be a killer looking popo bike. perhaps HD should re-think this option ...JMO
Not for sport touring/cop bikes they aren't many faster, AT ALL.

V-Rods have poor riding positions and small tanks and would never make it for cop duty, good as it is.

Check out LAPD's analysis of cop bikes. Very telling...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is good news! maybe the MoCo will start developing something to catch up.
From the pure practical point of view the bmw is faster, lighter, better handling, very balanced. In particular the R1200 RT can hit 140mph with its 110hp stock engine. Torque is also quite good, same as a stock 96" but at higher revs 6000 if I remember correct. That thing is quick.
The braking power is also in another planet compared to Harleys. and you can store a FF helmet in each of the two rigid, lockable and detacheable saddlebags. So pleanty of space there for Police equipment.
So in every aspect it beats the Harley hands down for a cop job.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 AM
jmio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man oh man, this article could not have come at a worst time for me, I am looking at either adding a bike to my stable or trading in. I was looking at keeping my electra glide standard as my get around bike and adding a road glide ultra to the mix for long tours and weekend get aways. Well, long story short, neither of the dealers here let test rides, and they said to go and find a demo day.

I went to the bmw dealership cause the BMW k1600gtl has struck my eye, and oh my, it is a bada$$ ride, FAST, nimble and COMFY. The electronics, stereo with bluetoothe and power of the bike is WAY above harley's capabilities. While it sits at 26,000 for all the upgrades, they said they would match my price of 22,700 of the road glide ultra. now that is how you earn business!!! The harley dealers here laugh at you if you even mention the idea of asking a few thousand above invoice price. I will keep my electra glide, for the sheer fact that i love the look and feel of it, and i have too much money in MOCO clothes to not have a harley, (kidding of course). but I am ashamed of Harley in this part of the country to say the least.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

BMW makes a great bike...The people that I know that own them love them...The only real complaints I hear are the cost of replacement parts...And the cost of maintenance.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:09 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Hopefully they'll do better than some of cops in the UK have done with them, from what I've heard quite a few have come off them, I think all the junk that's piled on them makes them a bit unstable at speed, some forces over here are now going over to Honda Pan Europeans, which talking to a couple of guys they preferr.

Quick Reply: bmw vs harley police bikes